Attn: Bob Headrick

Old May 26th 09, 06:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

Default Attn: Bob Headrick

Bob, I was hoping you would weigh in on a HP Officejet 8500 duplexing
question. I remember you from WAY back, on this printing forum, always
having such good advice for my various Deskjets printing needs. I asked
this question on the HP user support forum but only got one answer. I'd
like your opinion please
Monica

Is it possible to have my INcoming faxes print on both sides of the paper
(duplex printing)? My duplexer is installed. Duplex printing works when
printing a doc via the computer when I set it up to do so, but, when I get
multiple page faxes (they print automatically when received) I'd like for
them to print on front and back. They don't and I don't know how to set it
up to do so. Surely it's possible. This machine brags about being "green"
so it seems like a two page incoming fax could print front and back on one
piece of paper. Again, the duplexing works, but just not in fax mode.
Thanks,
Monica

Old May 26th 09, 09:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

Default Officejet 8500

"Monica" wrote in message
:

Bob, I was hoping you would weigh in on a HP Officejet 8500 duplexing
question. I remember you from WAY back, on this printing forum, always
having such good advice for my various Deskjets printing needs. I asked
this question on the HP user support forum but only got one answer. I'd
like your opinion please

I spend more time in the HP user forum these days, the signal to noise
ration there is much better. I saw your question over there but did not
have any answer.

Is it possible to have my Incoming faxes print on both sides of the paper
(duplex printing)? My duplexer is installed. Duplex printing works when
printing a doc via the computer when I set it up to do so, but, when I get
multiple page faxes (they print automatically when received) I'd like for
them to print on front and back. They don't and I don't know how to set it
up to do so. Surely it's possible. This machine brags about being "green"
so it seems like a two page incoming fax could print front and back on one
piece of paper. Again, the duplexing works, but just not in fax mode.

I do not know that it is possible. Properly printing the back side in
duplex mode requires storing the entire page and then printing it upside
down (from the bottom first) to make the page come out properly. This
data path may not be available in the printer hardware. It is normally
done by the driver on the PC when printing and mechanically by scanning
the back side from bottom to top when copying.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 26th 09, 10:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
get this to work g since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper
Monica

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
.. .
:

Old May 27th 09, 03:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_3_]

"Monica" wrote in message
Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
get this to work g since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper

Monica

Does your "fax" have Receive Software? (my Brother AIO does.)
If yes have you tried letting it capture faxes and printing from the capture
folder as a print task (instead of having the machine do an immediate fax
print).
Might be different result plus you could select what to print etc...
Just a thought.

--
Geo. Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

Old May 27th 09, 07:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Monica" wrote in message
:

Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
get this to work g since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper

I was in an office supply store yesterday and took a look at the various
Officejet 8500 models. At least on some of the models it looked like
there was an option to send incoming faxes to a folder on a computer on
the network. It may be possible to have the 8500 store faxes to your
computer where they could be later reviewed and printed double-sided.

Old May 27th 09, 11:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

Sounds like Bob and you are saying the same thing. Yes, my model does save
incoming faxes to a designated folder. It even has a pop up notice that an
incoming fax has been saved to such-in-such folder. The AiO is set to "auto
answer" for faxes. It "auto" prints as well. I'll look in the manual to
see if there is a way to keep them from automatically printing...auto
printing would be optimal if it supported duplex printing in fax mode).
Thanks guys.
Monica

Old May 28th 09, 12:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary[_4_]

Default Question to Bob Headrick

Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
(numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a new
printhead. The Canon takes 4 color and 2 black cartridges. I've always used
compatible ink cartridges. The IP400 is a good printer, but I saw the HP
C4345 at a very good price, and thought I would get a 4 in 1 printer, though
I don't need a scanner.

Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use
less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges? Also will the
C4345 use more ink because of having a scanner,printer, copier and faxer (I
won't be using a fax much, nor a copier). Also, the C4345 has a higher
resolution than the Canon (I'm not sure just how much higher) but wouldn't
that mean the C4345 would use more ink? I haven't taken it out of the box
yet, but I hope the C4345 is a good printer. Do you know much about that
model? As far as I know, its fairly new (at least in Canada). HP have come
out with a lot of models in the last year which all seem very similar.

Just wondering, can HP cartridges be refilled? They don't have any
compatibles as far as I know. I would appreciate any comments you might
have.

Mary

Old May 28th 09, 01:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Mary - I remember answering some of your questions regarding the ip4000 a
few years ago when you were planning to buy it. It uses four dye-based
inks, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and Black, and a pigment-based black large
cartridge for text. Total of five cartridges. I also recall that you were
not interested in refilling but were using Staples bci-6 and bci-3ebk carts.
Those are the easiest carts to refill if that is what you now want to do.
Go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and describe the printer problem
you are having. Someone there might be able to tell you how to clean the
printhead if that is the problem. Sometimes that is all it will take. You
will have to accurately describe the problem you are having. Also there can
be problems with aftermarket cartridges in that they sometimes don't feed
the ink as efficiently and give the appearance of a clogged printhead
nozzle. Continued use of a faulty cartridge can ultimately burn out a
heating element in the printhead and ruin it. if all you need is a new
printhead and the printer is OK you will probably get more years of service
out of the ip4000 printer. I am using an i960 Canon printer that is about
six years old. I've changed the printhead once and it still works perfectly
and produces excellent prints. Refilling the carts costs a bit more than $1
US and the prints are excellent. I've given it a lot of heavy use and it is
still worth it even if I have to buy another printhead for it.

Also, Mary - don't pay any attention to our resident troll, Measekite, who
always follows my posts with his anti aftermarket cart and ink diatribe.

Old May 28th 09, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary[_4_]

"Burt" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

I remember you Burt. Yes, I was using Staples compatible carts which worked
fine, then I changed to another compatible cartridge company in the US who
were fine for a while, and around this time I was having trouble what I
thought was the printhead, and you gave me detailed instructions how to
clean it, which I did but it didn't make much difference, then Chris on this
group sent me one that was used but still in good conditiion.He didn't need
it any more, and I've been using it for a while now and it was working ok.
Then the company in the US I had been using for compatibles changed their
distributor and I started to have some problems with some ink carts printing
streaks, which I thought might be the printhead, but when I put in a new
cart of the same color, there were no streaks and it was ok again. Even if I
get this problem solved, I dont know how long the printhead will last since
it was already used, but I was glad to get it and its lasted quite a while.

I am still not interested in refilling but just wanted to know if HP carts
can be refilled in case I find out with this new printer that it runs out of
ink a lot more often than the Canon, but I am fed up with all the carts the
Canon uses though the company I bought them from was very reasonable priced.
At least with a two cart system its only two carts you need to worry about
instead of 5, and the total of the 5 was a lot higher than the HP two carts.
I was just curious about refilling 2 carts. Can you refill a tri color cart?

Those are the easiest carts to refill if that is what you now want to do.
Go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and describe the printer problem
you are having. Someone there might be able to tell you how to clean the
printhead if that is the problem. Sometimes that is all it will take.

You gave me great instructiions around a year ago when I was having trouble
with my old printhead. So I already know and have tried it recently but
didn't seem to make much difference. I think its the ink that could be the
problem. Just a guess.

You
will have to accurately describe the problem you are having. Also there

can
be problems with aftermarket cartridges in that they sometimes don't feed
the ink as efficiently and give the appearance of a clogged printhead
nozzle.

It could be that. The old batches I got from the company I was using did not
cause clogs.

Continued use of a faulty cartridge can ultimately burn out a
heating element in the printhead and ruin it. if all you need is a new
printhead and the printer is OK you will probably get more years of

service
out of the ip4000 printer. I am using an i960 Canon printer that is about
six years old. I've changed the printhead once and it still works

perfectly
and produces excellent prints. Refilling the carts costs a bit more than

$1
US and the prints are excellent. I've given it a lot of heavy use and it

is
still worth it even if I have to buy another printhead for it.

Well, I don't feel like buying a new printhead at the moment. I intend to
keep the IP400, and maybe will fix it up but I think I would rather have 2
carts, not 5. The colors often go around the same time and I find 5 carts is
a nuisance. But maybe two carts, one tri color and one back is just as bad
as far as getting ink frequently. But maybe I could refill 2 carts if I had
to, but not 5 carts. But my post was really to ask Bob Headrick about the HP
model I bought and ask his opinion of that model.

Also, Mary - don't pay any attention to our resident troll, Measekite, who
always follows my posts with his anti aftermarket cart and ink diatribe.

I remember him from before. I don't listen to him. He's like a broken record
saying the same things over and over. You would think he would be tired of
saying the same things and start on some new rants.

Mary

Old May 28th 09, 03:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On May 27, 4:01*pm, "Mary" wrote:
Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
(numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a new
printhead.

We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
cartridges with chips.

The printhead life is limited to about 10 cartridge changes according
to the numbers in the manual, reality is 15-20 or more. Given similar
use, that printer is going to cost an extra $80 CAD or so every 3
years, or think about $1.60 CAD hidden charge per cartridge change.

Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use
less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges?

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/...340/index.html

Your canon you can expect about 500p (25ml)big black, and about 280
(13ml) pages color.

HP claims 750pages black, 510p color for their 74xl and 75xl
cartridges. Presuming OEM the black is 4.6c/page vs your canon at
2.5c/page. I'm not sure on prices up north, but if you buy OEM
cartridges, black costs more.

The actual amount of ink used is going to be less, as in the HP can
print more pages with 15ml of ink than the canon can with 25ml of
ink.

I'm sure you could refill the #74/75, but AFAIK there is no meter that
tells you the cartridge is empty, so if you print without ink you're
likely to screwup your cartridge's print head. Not such a big deal
since you can buy #74/75 cheaply enough.

Ease of refilling, you can check out google cache's page from
inksupply.com

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

There is also the cartridge priming tool for the #74/75
http://www.inksupply.com/partnumber....r=MI S-PRIME2

It's hard to be accurate since I don't know this printer, but a rule
of thumb is these budget priced printers are going to be like spiffy
printers from 3 years ago. As such the ip4000 might be on par with
psc4300.

I'm not seeing a source for refilled #74/75 tanks.

But if you want to continue using Staples cartridges, buying a print
head is really the way to go. If you want to bulk fill your
cartridges, the ip4000 is easier and it'll blink at you when the
cartridge is empty.

Bob Headrick; ? on 7960 ET Printers 7 February 26th 05 04:53 PM
Bob Headrick, a ? on 7960 ET Printers 4 December 29th 04 01:21 AM
Bob Headrick urgent !!!! geo Printers 2 October 12th 04 08:35 AM
ATTN: BOB HEADRICK Larry Ort Printers 2 September 27th 03 12:24 AM
Ping...Bob Headrick warren weber Printers 2 August 28th 03 05:39 AM