Replacing O/s on Dell Insprion 1300

Old March 5th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Replacing O/s on Dell Insprion 1300

I'm assuming that if I took out the HDD from my Dell Inspiron 1300 and
slipped in a new one, and then re-installed the operating system (XP Prof,
rahter than XP Home), I wouldn't be invalidated anything, as if anything
were to go wrong (what could?), then I could just stick the orgiinal HDD in
and it would just work like it did previously.

I'm just wanting to avoid invalidating the warranty by "upgrading" the XP
Home to XP Prof on the existing HDD.

Old March 5th 06, 10:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Oscar the Cat" wrote in message
I'm assuming that if I took out the HDD from my Dell Inspiron 1300 and
slipped in a new one, and then re-installed the operating system (XP Prof,
rahter than XP Home), I wouldn't be invalidated anything, as if anything
were to go wrong (what could?), then I could just stick the orgiinal HDD
in and it would just work like it did previously.

I'm just wanting to avoid invalidating the warranty by "upgrading" the XP
Home to XP Prof on the existing HDD.

It wouldn't invalidate the warranty. What you're thinking of probably is
that tech support will only troubleshoot/support the original OS that came
with the system, or at least that's what the policy was for many years.

Stew

Old March 5th 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I'm assuming that if I took out the HDD from my Dell Inspiron 1300 and
slipped in a new one, and then re-installed the operating system (XP
Prof, rahter than XP Home), I wouldn't be invalidated anything, as if
anything were to go wrong (what could?), then I could just stick the
orgiinal HDD in and it would just work like it did previously.

I'm just wanting to avoid invalidating the warranty by "upgrading" the XP
Home to XP Prof on the existing HDD.

It wouldn't invalidate the warranty. What you're thinking of probably is
that tech support will only troubleshoot/support the original OS that came
with the system, or at least that's what the policy was for many years.

Thanks for that - I'm still thinking it might be better doing a clean
install on a new HDD. Any pitfalls I should be aware of, other than making
sure I've got all the drivers, etc. ISTR that you can now download those
from the dell website.

Old March 5th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

All the drivers should be the same. If it's a non-Dell copy of XP you'll
likely have to manually enter the key and then activate the install.

That's about it. Will be virtually no different than a clean install of
Home.

I assume the CD has service pack 2 included, otherwise that is a 250mb+
download.

Stew

Old March 5th 06, 11:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Oscar the Cat" wrote in message
I'm assuming that if I took out the HDD from my Dell Inspiron 1300 and
slipped in a new one, and then re-installed the operating system (XP Prof,
rahter than XP Home), I wouldn't be invalidated anything, as if anything
were to go wrong (what could?), then I could just stick the orgiinal HDD
in and it would just work like it did previously.

I'm just wanting to avoid invalidating the warranty by "upgrading" the XP
Home to XP Prof on the existing HDD

You wouldn't invalidate the warranty anyway by upgrading your existing HDD
all dell would do is decline to tech support untill you put back the O/S it
shipped with if it was a software fault.its your machine you can put
whatever you like on it if its legal