Is there life inside of liquid crystal displays ? (LCD wave patterns)

Old February 17th 20, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Is there life inside of liquid crystal displays ? (LCD wave patterns)

I just did a high-speed capture of an lcd/vga monitor and it appeared some kind of pattern was showing when the monitor was blinking different colors at rapid speed, though still vertical retraced/synced to it's frequency of 60 hz or so.

On the high speed footage it appears there are these wave like almost plasma like patterns... and also ripples can be seen, slightly.

What are these patterns/ripples, like waves/oceans of the sea ?

1. Is this actually the liquid crystals changing in a certain pattern, maybe oscilating ?

2. Is this pattern formed by slight differences in liquid crystal speeds ?! Think not it should then be more random ?

3. Perhaps it's the electricity itself slightly showing up in the waves.

4. Perhaps the quick refreshing of the monitor colors is "pounding" on the liquid crystals creating micro-waves of fluids/micro-fluid motion on the LCD display.

5. The most radical and coolest explanation would be microbes, feeding on the light, evolving inside the LCD crystals... and having a blast with the disco lights ! LOL.

6. It could also be a compression artifact of the video codec.

7. Could be a pattern of the camera light sensitivity chip itself, though seems somewhat unlikely.

I may repeat this experiment on laptop later, maybe I will upload it to youtube so you can have a looksy.

Perhaps this technique could be used to leak side channel information on the monitor or profile it or finger print it... there is probably something/some kind of information related to this pattern lol.

I thought it was a cool thought anyway, microbes inside LCD's... I think it should be investigated to see if it's possible for life to evolve inside such a monitor... life turns up at the stranges places !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: The reason why I capture this video was to inspect if tearing is truely gone. I created some OpenGL app that vsyncs the bloody thing... and I am wondering how fast these pixels change color and if any pattern is visible with high speed camera... there is some pattern visible all kinds really, the changing kinda happens all around... single color frames... it's kinda weird.

I guess it's monitor/quality dependent. So for I am somewhat pleased with this vsync capability, no more tearing for now. But nothing is perfect... so far it's good enough for humans not to notice the refreshing of the screen or just slightly or so, it's kinda weird when you look or think about it.... I do see some fuzzeness of pixels changing colors.