OT but interesting: "The GPL violates the U.S. Constitution"

Old October 29th 03, 06:15 PM
Gary Seven

Default OT but interesting: "The GPL violates the U.S. Constitution"

I just had a really good laugh reading the following article:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html

Apparently the scumbag lawyers over at SCO (that's kind of a misnomer, as
the **real** SCO no longer exists) are claiming that the GNU GPL (general
public license 1) as it stands violates the U.S. Constitution, etc. etc.
Now, is it just me or does anyone else think some of these guys were
previously employed at Rambus? Christ, what's the world coming to, anyway!

G7

1. http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Old October 30th 03, 01:22 AM
RusH

"Gary Seven" wrote in
:

Constitution, etc. etc. Now, is it just me or does anyone else think
some of these guys were previously employed at Rambus?

thats a misstype, you naturally meant Redmont :P

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH // [502-20-14-27 tylko SMS]
http://kiti.pulse.pdi.net/qv30/ -- to prawdziwy ja
Old October 30th 03, 05:29 AM
stacey

Gary Seven wrote:

I just had a really good laugh reading the following article:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html

Apparently the scumbag lawyers over at SCO (that's kind of a misnomer, as
the **real** SCO no longer exists) are claiming that the GNU GPL (general
public license 1) as it stands violates the U.S. Constitution, etc. etc.
Now, is it just me or does anyone else think some of these guys were
previously employed at Rambus? Christ, what's the world coming to,
anyway!

G7

1. http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

"The GPL violates the U.S. Constitution, together with copyright, antitrust
and export control laws," SCO Group said in an answer filed late Friday to
an IBM court filing.

And anyone who thinks M$ isn't backing this has their head in the sand...
--

Stacey
Old October 30th 03, 05:41 AM
Dean Kent

"stacey" wrote in message
"The GPL violates the U.S. Constitution, together with copyright,

antitrust
and export control laws," SCO Group said in an answer filed late Friday to
an IBM court filing.

And the Boy Scout Oath...

And anyone who thinks M$ isn't backing this has their head in the sand...

I think the collective heads are at SCO, and they aren't stuck in the sand
but in some other dark place...

Regards,
Dean

--

Stacey

Old October 30th 03, 07:07 AM
Tony Hill

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:29:26 -0500, stacey wrote:
Gary Seven wrote:

I just had a really good laugh reading the following article:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html

Apparently the scumbag lawyers over at SCO (that's kind of a misnomer, as
the **real** SCO no longer exists) are claiming that the GNU GPL (general
public license 1) as it stands violates the U.S. Constitution, etc. etc.
Now, is it just me or does anyone else think some of these guys were
previously employed at Rambus? Christ, what's the world coming to,
anyway!

G7

1. http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

"The GPL violates the U.S. Constitution, together with copyright, antitrust
and export control laws," SCO Group said in an answer filed late Friday to
an IBM court filing.

And anyone who thinks M$ isn't backing this has their head in the sand...

Read it again, particularly this part:

"Article 1 Section 8 of the U.S. copyright law says that Congress can
regulate copyrights, not the FSF or any other organization."

I think you'll find that MS has every reason to be OPPOSED to the
ruling. Basically The Canopy Group (under the guise of SCO) is saying
that the GPL is invalid because only the government is allowed to
regulate copyrights. What that means is that Microsoft's precious
EULA's would be invalid for the exact same reason.

No, MS isn't backing this one in any way, shape or form. It's just a
bunch of scumbag investors out to make a quick buck. The real tragedy
of this is that all the engineers that used to work for SCO and
Caldera are being setup to be the ones taking the fall, while the real
culprits hide behind the "venture capital" company called The Canopy
Group, and get away scott free because they're just investors.

If the legal system in the US worked properly, the man behind the
curtains would be thrown in jail for this one. Committing fraud and
extortion should not be legal just because you're hiding behind a
corporate veil.

Microsoft is not the only evil in this world!

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old October 30th 03, 07:26 AM
Dean Kent

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
.com...

If the legal system in the US worked properly, the man behind the
curtains would be thrown in jail for this one. Committing fraud and
extortion should not be legal just because you're hiding behind a
corporate veil.

Glad someone else sees the problem with current Corporate protection laws.
Criminals get away with murder, and leave investors, employees and taxpayers
holding the bag...

Regards,
Dean

Old October 30th 03, 07:27 AM
stacey

Gary Seven wrote:

[...]

And from the past, you think the US gov would take away MS's copyrights?

No, MS isn't backing this one in any way, shape or form.

Nah, just 30 million bucks (or more?) to SCO last spring.....

It's just a
bunch of scumbag investors out to make a quick buck.

Or to crush linux and who exactly would benefit from that? LOL!

Microsoft is not the only evil in this world!

Nope, they've just got (paid for) friends in the right places..

I like how MS is now lobying congress to deal with the problems MS is having
in europe.. Then WE get to pay with our tax money to protect MS?

--

Stacey
Old October 30th 03, 09:03 AM
Tim Sullivan

"Gary Seven" wrote in message ...
I just had a really good laugh reading the following article:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html

Apparently the scumbag lawyers over at SCO (that's kind of a misnomer, as
the **real** SCO no longer exists) are claiming that the GNU GPL (general
public license 1) as it stands violates the U.S. Constitution, etc. etc.
Now, is it just me or does anyone else think some of these guys were
previously employed at Rambus? Christ, what's the world coming to, anyway!

G7

1. http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html

You'll have to remind me again, what was it Rambus did wrong?
Old October 30th 03, 03:36 PM
jack

Tim Sullivan wrote:
: "Gary Seven" wrote in message
: ...
:: I just had a really good laugh reading the following article:
::
:: http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5098610.html
::
:: Apparently the scumbag lawyers over at SCO (that's kind of a
:: misnomer, as
:: the **real** SCO no longer exists) are claiming that the GNU GPL
:: (general
:: public license 1) as it stands violates the U.S. Constitution, etc.
:: etc.
:: Now, is it just me or does anyone else think some of these guys were
:: previously employed at Rambus? Christ, what's the world coming to,
:: anyway!
::
:: G7
::
:: 1. http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html
:
: You'll have to remind me again, what was it Rambus did wrong?

You're nothing but a RMBS cheerleading shill. Why bother trying to
explain anything to you? Asshole.

J.
--
--------
The end to "Personal Computing" as we know it is just around the corner.

Old October 31st 03, 01:32 AM
stacey

Dean Kent wrote:

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
.com...

If the legal system in the US worked properly, the man behind the
curtains would be thrown in jail for this one. Committing fraud and
extortion should not be legal just because you're hiding behind a
corporate veil.

Glad someone else sees the problem with current Corporate protection laws.
Criminals get away with murder, and leave investors, employees and
taxpayers holding the bag...

Yep overheard these two guys talking about how they set up corps, buy a
bunch of electronic stuff like big screen TV's etc, file bankrupsy, sell
the stuff they didn't pay for and then just start another corp and do it
all over again and were laughing about it... Watched them drive off in a
new lexus and thought about how =I= paid for this with every electronic
purchase I make.
--

Stacey

OT but interesting General 4 September 25th 04 05:00 AM
Some interesting homebuilts ToolPackinMama Homebuilt PC's 0 June 3rd 04 02:11 PM
HP an interesting article Mickey Printers 6 May 27th 04 05:13 PM
Interesting 'optimisation' article + benchmarks. nightic Nvidia Videocards 1 July 23rd 03 09:24 PM