Noise Levels for Dell Desktops

Old November 4th 04, 08:44 PM
zero

Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
should be avoided as they get very warm
and so will need more cooling

the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an office
environment

they are a basic 2.something P4 model

i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow

on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a quiet
pc is to get a dell
rather than customise something else

also the case design helps

i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never thought
anything of them
but once i've used on it convinced me

"Key Bored" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or

8400.
Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,

or
HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Thanx,
Key Bored

Old November 5th 04, 08:02 PM
zero

GX260 - 2.66 P4 - on board sound and i'd guess graphics

full tower case so you can upgrade video etc.

theres different types but full tower will give you the most options

i reckon them big time

Old November 6th 04, 10:22 PM
Comp UK

"Key Bored" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!

I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
(the 3000 being the quietest).

The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
and put the PC in the garage.

Old November 7th 04, 09:45 PM
Peter Richter

"Comp UK" wrote in message ...

I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!

I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
(the 3000 being the quietest).

The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
and put the PC in the garage.

Hi Comp UK,

a second very long cable for me too !!
Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
concerned too.
Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
Let me know what you want to do.

Bye ...
Old November 7th 04, 10:37 PM
John

"Peter Richter" wrote in message
m...
"Comp UK" wrote in message

[...]

Hi there, thanks for the link. I notice there are in the same boat.

I opened my PC last night and had a good listen and the problem is the fan
coming ONLY from the CPU/processor fan (Dell part #). The other fan seems
fairly silent.

I wouldn't mind if it was a constant tone/pitch, but it isn't.

My PC spec is 3GHZ, ATI 300SE and 1GB RAM.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...391169#M201770
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...391169#M201880
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...=391101#M89423

And very handy noise diagnosis
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...ent?dn=1033989

My PC is loud ALL the time. Start up to shutdown. I'd not say it's a vacuum
sound, more like a hairdryer/lawn mower with some low-pitch rattling.

I'm VERY happy with the PC otherwise so I may just be getting a very long
set of cables

Old November 8th 04, 01:22 AM
S.Lewis

"Comp UK" wrote in message

[...]

If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Post back

Stew

Old November 8th 04, 09:10 AM
Peter Richter

"S.Lewis" wrote in message ...

If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Post back

Stew

The fan runs not "wide open", if then, itīs sound like a vacuum
cleaner (only testet with the Dell Tool). I replaced the fan two times
- same noise.
The first fan was a DELTA, the second a NIDEC.
By the way - the fan is constantly changes for a short moment the RPM
if you start a program, klick the mouse or scan a picture ....!
I donīt think itīs the fan.
Old November 8th 04, 10:28 AM
John

"Peter Richter" wrote in message
om...
I donīt think itīs the fan.

Neither does this guy
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...cending&page=1

He thinks that's the problem solved. Hopefully it applies to our 8400s too.

Old November 8th 04, 11:50 AM
S.Lewis

"John" wrote in message
"Peter Richter" wrote in message
om...
I donīt think itīs the fan.

Neither does this guy
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...cending&page=1

He thinks that's the problem solved. Hopefully it applies to our 8400s
too.

Since Peter is seeing some fluctuation in the fan speeds and has had fan
replacement, then it's obviously not the fan. The system boards I've seen
fail usually allow the fan to operate "wide open" uncontrolled continually.
One could dry one's hair with it.

Also, the "performance heatsink" mentioned in the Dell forum thread (
W4254 ) is, I believe the 'standard' heatsink *already* used in the
Dim8400 - or at least it is the only one I've noted. The bar code with this
part number is visible on the top of the HS.

The (poor) seating of the heatsink mentioned in that thread could indeed
cause rapid variation in the fan speeds on a regular basis. The fit of the
heatsink base into the motherboard "pedestal" into which the HS snaps in is
rather clumsy in that it is very tight and "flexes" the pedestal itself.
It's not unthinkable that the HS could be snapped in but at a slight
(incorrect) angle, leading to uneven cooling and ultimately over-active fan
cycling.

I've also believed that the amount of thermal compound ( resembles artic
silver in appearance ) is excessive in amount in thickness on the HS.

If it were mine, I'd venture to clean the heatsink contact area and the top
of the CPU with a mild alcohol wipe and lightly re-apply a different
compound to see if that and thorough reseating changes anything.

Stew

Stew

Old November 8th 04, 04:02 PM
PC Medic

. ..

"Comp UK" wrote in message

[...]

Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first determine
WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.