4600 and IEEE1394 Install

Old October 22nd 04, 11:44 PM
JLP20

Default 4600 and IEEE1394 Install

Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in the
past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.

Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for or
avoid?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old October 25th 04, 02:53 PM
JLP20

(JLP20) wrote in message
Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a

IEEE1394
to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in

the
past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.

Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for

or
avoid?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Try this link to newegg.com.
They are a reputable dealer...
http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProd...bmit=Go&DEPA=0

OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00 on
eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.

What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and what
should I avoid???
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old October 25th 04, 03:25 PM
S.Lewis

"JLP20" wrote in message

(JLP20) wrote in message
[...]

I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.

IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name mfr.
such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1) the
company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an increased
likelihood that the install and function will go well in Windows and if
not - your chances are better for support websites and software downloads
and any future driver updates.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProd...d&InnerCata=73

While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap) KingWin
USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low that I
half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.

Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have been
fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.

If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more for
the website and driver/software support.

Hope this is of some help.

Stew

Old October 25th 04, 04:43 PM
Sparky

S.Lewis wrote:
"JLP20" wrote in message

(JLP20) wrote in message

[...]

You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes
an IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an
IEEE1394 port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).

I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.
Old October 25th 04, 07:19 PM
S.Lewis

"Sparky" wrote in message
et...
S.Lewis wrote:
"JLP20" wrote in message

(JLP20) wrote in message

[...]

As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.

fwiw

Stew

Old October 25th 04, 08:30 PM
Sparky

S.Lewis wrote:

"Sparky" wrote in message
et...

S.Lewis wrote:

snip

[...]

True, but the Audigy 2 ZS has a headphone port (the model I have has a
breakout box on my desktop (External?)).
Old October 26th 04, 12:40 AM
S.Lewis

"Sparky" wrote in message
et...
S.Lewis wrote:

"Sparky" wrote in message
et...

S.Lewis wrote:

snip

[...]

Thanks for the correction. That possibility had occurred to me had I been
thorough and searched it. I was not aware that particular Audigy had
externals.

Stew