Computer Shows

Old August 11th 04, 05:28 AM
Todd Brooks

Default Computer Shows

How do you folks feel about buying hardware at computer shows? There's one
this weekend in Orlando and I was thinking about checking it out. I've been
before, just never bought anything major.

Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Old August 11th 04, 07:14 AM
Todd Brooks

By the way, I have an Athlon XP 2400+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro. If I could only
afford 1 upgrade for right now...which one should it be? New mobo/processor
or new video card? I use my PC mainly for gaming.

Old August 11th 04, 03:16 PM
Minnie Bannister

My experience is of computer shows in NY, MI and CA. Prices are
typically much lower than at places like Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit
City, but not as good as the best on-line vendors. You probably aren't
going to find "brand-name" systems, only "Ulysses Wang's Supercharged P4
Whatsit-machine" or the like, with a warranty only as good as Ulysses
Wang's customer service department -- assuming he's still in business
when you need him.

Many of the vendors will not take checks, and most of those that take
plastic will charge you a few percent extra for the privilege.

Other than impulse purchases, my computer show purchases have mostly
been cases and other expensive-to-ship items, and closeout software.

I have also found that fewer and fewer vendors are showing up at these
events as time goes by.

MB

On 08/11/04 12:28 am Todd Brooks put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Old August 11th 04, 11:02 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:28:42 -0400 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
and then "Todd Brooks" wrote :

How do you folks feel about buying hardware at computer shows? There's one
this weekend in Orlando and I was thinking about checking it out. I've been
before, just never bought anything major.

Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Can only speak for the UK but I've had no problem buying from
them.Over here they are strictly regulated and none of the vendors
would like to get a bad reputation as they make too much money from
the shows :P

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old August 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Jan Alter

Once you've bought from a vender and have a good experience you will tend to
frequent that company again. One of the tricks is finding the reliable ones.
Any part that you purchase you should try out immediately so that you can
return it before the show moves on. A couple of years ago I bought a used 20
gig hard drive from a guy at a show for $20. It was DOA and so I took it
back the next day to the show. The guy never showed up at his booth and I'm
told there were over 50 other angry customers with similarly dead hdds, with
no working telephone number to reach the SOB. Serves me right for paying
cash. Never, ever purchase anything from a show for cash. You will have
little leverage if the vender is uncrupulous.
For the most part I have found that if buying new one can get very close
to the same prices by buying online from such reliable companies as Newegg,
etc.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old August 12th 04, 02:28 PM
patrick

Todd Brooks wrote:
By the way, I have an Athlon XP 2400+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro. If I could only
afford 1 upgrade for right now...which one should it be? New mobo/processor
or new video card? I use my PC mainly for gaming.

I have been buying from vendors at the shows since 1997.

I have bought used scrap, new stuff, and have had very good experiences,
except for twice when I bought used/scrap that was stated to be good
pulls (cpu's and hard drives) but were absolutely burned out!

Even considering the very few bad luck cases, I have saved tons of
money, and have the parts for about 60 systems, for the cost of about 4
new ones! 20 of my 28 functioning systems came from the show. (8 were
gifts). I like to donate to churches, Linux noobs, and, to poor kids.
I also have some that are best for IPCOP boxes, if you are interested,
and can travel to my home in Casselberry, Florida, or I might bring some
stuff to give out, at the August 21st, 2004, Installfest
http://leap-cf.org .

So, you can get some GREAT DEALS! Just, if you buy NEW, pick a local
vendor so you don't have to ship stuff far, for warranty.

Folks who signed up at http://marketproshows.com got a FREE ADMISSION
last week, in their email.