a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems

Old August 5th 03, 05:35 AM
Beemer Biker

Default a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems

Put in new Asus GeForce 5600 and quickly noticed a problem with noise from
the video board. Seems to happen after about 20 - 30 minutes. You can hear
ringing noises, when mouse moves, soft clicking noises. The noise is very
noticable when the system is idle and appears to go away when there is video
activity. While dragging a window does not stop the noise, if I grab a
corner and stretch the window back and forth, the noise stops while the
window is resizing.

I can reboot and it is good for 20 - 30 minutes then suddenly the noise
appears.

I tried agp spread spectrum enable/disable, tried changing the agp apature
128-256, refresh: 60,70,80 hz, resolution: 800x600 ... 1280x1024, large
fonts, etc. Nothing works more than about 30 minuts. A reboot will work,
but is good for 30 minuts or so. CPU is athlon 1400 mhz ("1700" model) at
temp: 114f with several fans. should be o.k.??

Sound is not consistenly on and once it shows up it is impossible to do
anything to get rid of the noise. Occasionally, not predicable, the noise
does not resume when we quit a program, but it does pick up 20-30 minutes
later.

Before the 5600 was installed we had an older ti200 and my son could hear
the same type of noise, but extremely faint, not anything to complain about,
but it was there. I could not hear it. but I can clearly hear the ringing
noise and mouse "clickings".

Got any suggestions? We currently are using the latest nvidia driver, the
same one we installed for the ti200.

Old August 5th 03, 02:33 PM
Beemer Biker

"edde" wrote in message
Might be a power supply fan. What type of psu do you have?
Some, like my enermax, have auto speed control, so the fan speed changes
when temps change.
Also, it may even be the cpu fan.

Just tried all the above, didnt work....BUT WE DID FIX THE PROBLEM! (or at
least the symptom).... Removed the cable going from the cdrom to the AUX
audio in. Discovered this by selecting MUTE for each input and when we got
the the AUX input, muting it fixed the problem. We disconnected the AUX
audio connector at the cdrom and it still had the morse code sound. But
when we pulled that cable off of that AUX "white" input on the motherboard,
the morse code sound went away. In addtion, the extremely faint "mouse
clicking" noise also disappeared. I will try a shielded cable if I can find
one. We eventually want to put a tv adapter in and I suspect the AUX input
will have to be used at that time. For now, we don't need the AUX input as
that white CD-IN works just fine. It connects to a DVD-CDR combo which is
used for playing music anyway.

igy.com...