Which is better: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel Pentium 2 GHz?

Old June 29th 03, 01:16 PM
S.Heenan

Default Which is better: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel Pentium 2 GHz?

Timberwolf wrote:
Hi there

I'm creating a new PC - I'd like to find out which
CPU will give better performance in a PC used for
digital video editing:

An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or an Intel Pentium 2GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

If the primary use is digital video editing the P4 2GHz probably has a
slight edge due to the use of SSE2 instructions.

Old June 29th 03, 02:10 PM
nECrO

"Timberwolf" wrote in message
Hi there

I'm creating a new PC - I'd like to find out which
CPU will give better performance in a PC used for
digital video editing:

An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or an Intel Pentium 2GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

Talk about loaded questions! ) I believe S.Heenan is right in saying that
the Intel 2Ghz chip has a slight edge. But not much. I checked pricewatch
and found that the PIV 2Ghz is roughly 3 times the price of the AthlonXP
1800+. For the same $ as The PIV 2Ghz you could buy an AthlonXP 2700+ that
would outperform the PIV. Put that 2700+ on an inexpensive Epox Mobo with an
Nvidia Nforce2 chipset and it will fly by the PIV 2Ghz. Just my 2
cents..........
nECrO

Old June 29th 03, 02:29 PM
kony

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:35:34 +0800, "Timberwolf"
wrote:

Hi there

I'm creating a new PC - I'd like to find out which
CPU will give better performance in a PC used for
digital video editing:

An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or an Intel Pentium 2GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

What didn't you like about the answers the last time you asked this
exact same question (several times)? You asked in this group and
multiple others, all separate posts, and on multiple dates.

Why the Hotmail and Yahoo addresses????

Are you dense?

Go reread the answers already given:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...3F%22&filter=0

Old July 1st 03, 06:34 PM
JK

Timberwolf wrote:

Hi there

I'm creating a new PC - I'd like to find out which
CPU will give better performance in a PC used for
digital video editing:

An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or an Intel Pentium 2GHz?

A Pentium 4 2 ghz is around $156. Compare it to an
AMD processor around $156, which is the
Athlon XP2800+ 333. I say go for the XP2800+ 333.
If you want to compare an XP1800+($51) to an
Intel processor, compare it to the Celeron 1.7 ghz($55).
The XP1800+ looks like it is a far superior performer in
most software.

Old August 7th 03, 05:32 PM
Sean

why 1800+ vs p4 2.0

why not 1800+ vs p4 1.8 wouldnt that make more sence

and the amd is a lot cheaper the p4 is around 20% more expensive

http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

Old August 8th 03, 02:54 AM
Some One

"Sean" wrote in message
why 1800+ vs p4 2.0

why not 1800+ vs p4 1.8 wouldnt that make more sence

Because an AMD does not use it's number to compare to Intel CPU's.

An AMD 1800+ XP runs (supposedly) as fast as an AMD T-Bird at 1800mhz
(which they don't make).

The best way (and still not 100% accurate) is to examine benchmarks of
the CPU's you are comparing, while running the same benchmark on as
similar as possible hardware.

and the amd is a lot cheaper the p4 is around 20% more expensive

I've lost faith in AMD with their deceptive numbering system, lack of
durable heat spreader bonded to the core, and questionable warranty
tactics. The Intel may be more money, but I'd feel more confident
running an Intel system. (All my systems are currently AMD and I
regret this more and more each day.)

Old August 7th 03, 06:00 PM
kony

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:38:14 +0800, "Timberwolf"
wrote:

Hi there

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...jv%404 ax.com
Old August 8th 03, 02:17 AM
Proto

"kony" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:38:14 +0800, "Timberwolf"
wrote:

Hi there

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...97gsrjv%404 a
x.com

PLONK!

Old August 7th 03, 08:09 PM
Girgath

Something not commonly known about the AMD's are that 1800 does NOT mean 1.8
Ghz, I have a 1700+ and it runs at max 1.44Ghz. an AMD 1.4 could outmatch a
P41.4, however I think your better off going with the P4 2... I have heard
some bad stuff about bottle necking with the pentiums though, maybe
corrected? I bought a computer a while ago...

"Timberwolf" wrote in message
Hi there

I'm creating a new PC - I'd like to find out which
CPU will give better performance in a PC used for
digital video editing:

An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or an Intel Pentium 2GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

Which fan is best for Athlon XP 2600+ James Walton General 22 July 24th 03 06:33 PM
Intel thermal pad or Arctic Silver? kony General 3 July 4th 03 12:35 AM
quick questions regarding Athlon XP fred.do General 4 June 25th 03 06:07 PM
Athlon XP 2400 David General 1 June 24th 03 10:28 PM
Athlon XP 2400 Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:28 AM