HP notebooks recalled

Old June 25th 04, 10:37 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default HP notebooks recalled

HP says it is recalling some of its Intel mobile chipset (model 845, 852,
and 855) machines. Says that there may be a flaw which causes corrupt
results when paired with certain brands and models of RAM.

http://tinyurl.com/263wc

or long form,

http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...cleId=22102166

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old June 25th 04, 11:12 PM
RusH

"Yousuf Khan" wrote :

HP says it is recalling some of its Intel mobile chipset (model
845, 852, and 855) machines. Says that there may be a flaw which
causes corrupt results when paired with certain brands and models
of RAM.

Apple does those things a lot latelly, 2-4 times a year .

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/
Old June 26th 04, 04:56 PM
Quaoar

RusH wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" wrote :

HP says it is recalling some of its Intel mobile chipset (model
845, 852, and 855) machines. Says that there may be a flaw which
causes corrupt results when paired with certain brands and models
of RAM.

Apple does those things a lot latelly, 2-4 times a year .

Pozdrawiam.

Power adapters. Not the notebooks.

Old June 26th 04, 06:36 PM
Skip

"Quaoar" wrote in message

Power adapters. Not the notebooks.

Well, to be fair, the HP recall is memory modules and not the notebooks
themselves.

Old June 26th 04, 07:11 PM
Yousuf Khan

Skip wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message

Power adapters. Not the notebooks.

Well, to be fair, the HP recall is memory modules and not the
notebooks themselves.

Actually to be fair, I really doubt that it was the memory modules
themselves which were a problem (something like five major DRAM
manufacturers all produced bad ram?). It's more likely that the problem lay
in the Intel chipset, specifically in its memory controller circuitry.
Doesn't look like any of the AMD-based notebooks were affected by this bad
ram.

Yousuf Khan

Old June 26th 04, 08:43 PM
B. Peg

.....and they throw in a (smallish) thumbdrive for your troubles. Not bad
C.S.

fwiw, my HP Pavilion wasn't on the list but I ran the software anyway. It
says "Model not affected." wipes brow

B~

Old June 28th 04, 02:47 AM
Judd

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
rs.com...
Skip wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message

Power adapters. Not the notebooks.

Well, to be fair, the HP recall is memory modules and not the
notebooks themselves.

Actually to be fair, I really doubt that it was the memory modules
themselves which were a problem (something like five major DRAM
manufacturers all produced bad ram?). It's more likely that the problem

lay
in the Intel chipset, specifically in its memory controller circuitry.
Doesn't look like any of the AMD-based notebooks were affected by this bad
ram.

then shouldn't the other notebook vendors be reporting the same problem?

Old June 28th 04, 08:23 AM
Yousuf Khan

Judd wrote:
Actually to be fair, I really doubt that it was the memory modules
themselves which were a problem (something like five major DRAM
manufacturers all produced bad ram?). It's more likely that the
problem lay in the Intel chipset, specifically in its memory
controller circuitry. Doesn't look like any of the AMD-based
notebooks were affected by this bad ram.

then shouldn't the other notebook vendors be reporting the same
problem?

Well, according to HP, the others should also be following its example, but
so far no one else seems to be budging.

Yousuf Khan

Old June 28th 04, 04:06 PM
Mike Ching

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:23:16 GMT, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Judd wrote:
Actually to be fair, I really doubt that it was the memory modules
themselves which were a problem (something like five major DRAM
manufacturers all produced bad ram?). It's more likely that the
problem lay in the Intel chipset, specifically in its memory
controller circuitry. Doesn't look like any of the AMD-based
notebooks were affected by this bad ram.

then shouldn't the other notebook vendors be reporting the same
problem?

Well, according to HP, the others should also be following its example, but
so far no one else seems to be budging.

One article that I read said that IBM had found the problem with one of the
vendors and had disqualified them but they declined to name which one.
Old June 28th 04, 10:22 PM
RusH

"Judd" wrote :

then shouldn't the other notebook vendors be reporting the same
problem?

IBM had this problem with T30s

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&frame=right&th=ad06ff4208a2a3c0&seekm=b246238d.0 307161618.3c121431%40
posting.google.com#link5

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //