HP's Q&A about OpenVMS, x86-64, and Itanium

Old June 10th 04, 04:48 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default HP's Q&A about OpenVMS, x86-64, and Itanium

Terry Shannon recently did an interview about the future directions of
OpenVMS. HP strongly denies they will ever port their OpenVMS operating
system over to x86 extensions (AMD64, EM64T) from Itanium. Of course, just a
few months ago, they were strongly denying that they would ever use AMD64
systems at all, just a few weeks before announcing the biggest roll-out of
Opteron servers that AMD has seen so far. Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

http://www.shannonknowshpc.com/stori.../06/09/3222020

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old June 10th 04, 04:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article rs.com,
"Yousuf Khan" writes:
| ... Also HP says that it doesn't need
| a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
| see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

Ah. The doctrine of Historical Inevitability. How nice to see
such, er, interesting philosophies being preserved.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 11th 04, 01:39 PM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:48:30 GMT, "Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Terry Shannon recently did an interview about the future directions of
OpenVMS. HP strongly denies they will ever port their OpenVMS operating
system over to x86 extensions (AMD64, EM64T) from Itanium. Of course, just a
few months ago, they were strongly denying that they would ever use AMD64
systems at all, just a few weeks before announcing the biggest roll-out of
Opteron servers that AMD has seen so far. Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

So HP is basing its projections on the prognostications of "leading
industry analysts" now?? Am I missing something here? I though that it
was.... oh never mind!

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old June 11th 04, 02:06 PM
Casper H.S. Dik

"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Terry Shannon recently did an interview about the future directions of
OpenVMS. HP strongly denies they will ever port their OpenVMS operating
system over to x86 extensions (AMD64, EM64T) from Itanium. Of course, just a
few months ago, they were strongly denying that they would ever use AMD64
systems at all, just a few weeks before announcing the biggest roll-out of
Opteron servers that AMD has seen so far. Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

Perhaps they can send some of the leading industry experts to PTC:

http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware...ium_letter.htm

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
Old June 11th 04, 03:24 PM
Robert Myers

Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" writes:

... Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

Perhaps they can send some of the leading industry experts to PTC:

http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware...ium_letter.htm

So when do we expect x86-64 emulation for Itanium?

RM

Old June 11th 04, 04:25 PM
Bill Todd

"Robert Myers" wrote in message
Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" writes:

... Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry

analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

Perhaps they can send some of the leading industry experts to PTC:

http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware...ium_letter.htm

So when do we expect x86-64 emulation for Itanium?

I'd say probably not before they get its vanilla-x86 emulation up to snuff -
i.e., probably never.

- bill

Old June 11th 04, 04:27 PM
Yousuf Khan

George Macdonald wrote:
So HP is basing its projections on the prognostications of "leading
industry analysts" now?? Am I missing something here? I though that
it was.... oh never mind!

Nah, I think this is HP's way of saying to expect OpenVMS for AMD64 to be
announced soon. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old June 11th 04, 04:28 PM
Bill Todd

"Casper H.S. Dik" wrote in message
"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Terry Shannon recently did an interview about the future directions of
OpenVMS. HP strongly denies they will ever port their OpenVMS operating
system over to x86 extensions (AMD64, EM64T) from Itanium. Of course,

just a
few months ago, they were strongly denying that they would ever use AMD64
systems at all, just a few weeks before announcing the biggest roll-out

of
Opteron servers that AMD has seen so far. Also HP says that it doesn't

need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry

analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

Perhaps they can send some of the leading industry experts to PTC:

http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware...ium_letter.htm

Oh, dear - how embarrassingly public and direct. One suspects that this
particular departing rat may never have been all that enthused about Itanic
in the first place - or at least became unenthused after acquiring direct
experience with it.

- bill

Old June 11th 04, 04:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Bill Todd" writes:

| So when do we expect x86-64 emulation for Itanium?
|
| I'd say probably not before they get its vanilla-x86 emulation up to snuff -
| i.e., probably never.

I am speculating that the much-replicated Alpha engineers and the
most innovative Intel ones are designing a completely new range
for 2007/8, and that this will be microcoded (like the Banias and
Pentium 4). It will come in Itanium, x86-64 and possibly other
flavours, and possibly be able to switch between them dynamically.
Combine that with multiple cores, and you have an interesting
basis for a self-configuring system :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 11th 04, 05:15 PM
chrisv

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Also HP says that it doesn't need
a contingency plan in case Itanium fails, because "leading industry analysts
see the success of Itanium as being inevitable." :-)

*scoff*