Pentium 4 2.8G and power supply

Old July 8th 04, 02:43 AM
Glenn & Cheryll Martin

Default Pentium 4 2.8G and power supply

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here. I needed to change the motherboard in
my computer from a SiS chipset to an Intel chipset due to a software
program I need to use. My friend noticed that a black wire on the
power supply was snipped and not connected. He said that only when
using AMD processors should this wire not be connected, and this is
the wire the Pentiums need for power, otherwise the chip draws its
power from the motherboard. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Because we did connect it, but I am getting many different serious
errors, and was wondering if we should be considering this as a
possible reason.

Thank you in advance.
remove "nospam" to reply
Old July 8th 04, 09:05 PM
Ghostrider

Glenn & Cheryll Martin wrote:
Hello,

I hope someone can help me here. I needed to change the motherboard in
my computer from a SiS chipset to an Intel chipset due to a software
program I need to use. My friend noticed that a black wire on the
power supply was snipped and not connected. He said that only when
using AMD processors should this wire not be connected, and this is
the wire the Pentiums need for power, otherwise the chip draws its
power from the motherboard. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Because we did connect it, but I am getting many different serious
errors, and was wondering if we should be considering this as a
possible reason.

A black wire...there are many black wires coming out of a
PSU. It is one thing to cut the wire and another to leave
it unconnected with the header block with name still present.
If it is not a 4-conductor wire, then it being snipped might
have no or minor consequence, e.g., PSU fan tachometer lead.

Next, what OS? If there is a major change in hardware, some
OS's (e.g., Windows NT, 2000, XP, etc.) do not adapt well to
the hardware change. Depending on which OS, a re-install may
be in order and this could be the cause of the errors.

HTH & GL.

Motherboard Power Requirements arifi Asus Motherboards 27 February 24th 05 11:31 AM
Life expectancy Travis King Asus Motherboards 65 January 28th 05 08:37 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM