HP's Q&A about OpenVMS, x86-64, and Itanium

Old June 22nd 04, 09:36 PM
Alexis Cousein

Bill Todd wrote:

I'd say probably not before they get its vanilla-x86 emulation up to snuff -
i.e., probably never.

Well, ia32el-4.4-1.2.ia64.rpm from SuSe seems to work quite well around
these parts.

But what do I know.

--
Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

Old June 22nd 04, 09:41 PM
Alexis Cousein

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
That's also
rumored to be how future Itanics are going to handle x86 emulation (i.e.
FX!32); hopefully it'll be better than the direct hardware support of
earlier models...

As I posted earlier, that's even how most current Itanium2 users would like to run
their code (with an IA32EL layer that's recent enough to work). Some of the codes
I've tried are 4-5 times faster using FX!32^WIA32EL than using the hardware engine
(which you can still use by doing /etc/init.d/ia32el stop).

Old June 22nd 04, 11:31 PM
Stephen Sprunk

"Alexis Cousein" wrote in message
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
That's also
rumored to be how future Itanics are going to handle x86 emulation (i.e.
FX!32); hopefully it'll be better than the direct hardware support of
earlier models...

As I posted earlier, that's even how most current Itanium2 users would

like to run
their code (with an IA32EL layer that's recent enough to work). Some of

the codes
I've tried are 4-5 times faster using FX!32^WIA32EL than using the

hardware engine
(which you can still use by doing /etc/init.d/ia32el stop).

Oops... Last I heard it was a future thing; I must have missed the
announcement in January when it shipped for Win2k3.

Can you say if the hardware engine will be removed in future chips?

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov

Old June 23rd 04, 12:37 AM
Bill Todd

Bill Todd wrote:

I'd say probably not before they get its vanilla-x86 emulation up to

snuff -
i.e., probably never.

Well, ia32el-4.4-1.2.ia64.rpm from SuSe seems to work quite well around
these parts.

But what do I know.

Hard to say: does the performance evoke anything but laughter when compared
with current IA32 Intel and AMD competition, or is it still pretty much in
the toilet? Last I heard, the only thing that made the software emulation
look particularly good was the fact that it was less utterly abysmal than
the hardware kludge (i.e., might now be approaching 1.5 GHz P4/Xeon speeds -
hardly inspiring, though probably adequate for a somewhat wider range of
loads than the hardware IA32 Itanic box is).

- bill

Old June 24th 04, 03:29 PM
john jakson

Bruce Hoult wrote in message ...
In article ,
Terje Mathisen wrote:

Couldn't you make teh IA64 set reside in scratchpad ram, and JIT towards
a 32 reg arch that only kept the most often / lately used regs in
actual registers and the rest in scratch? it would then be a pretty
ordinary
target with more or less a couple of extra quirks...

Yes, you could, except that all the sw for which IA64 is currently fast,
i.e. relatively regular fp codes, are fast specifically because they fit
the rotating registers/sw pipelining model of IA64.

This model will use all the regs, or at least all the regs that can be
live at the same time: Since the L2 latency used to be 9 cycles, this
means that you have to expect up to (at least?) N*9, with N = number of
regs required by the base algorithm, to be active at any given time.

I.e. 128 regs isn't just a hint, it's a requirement for a fast emulator,
unless you want to completely unravel all the logic behind those
predicated/pipelined/unrolled sw loops.

But how are you going to efficiently emulate the register rotation
itself, if the IA64 emulated registers are in 128 ordinary registers in
a conventional CPU?

Depending on the ratio of rotates to computation you could be much
better off keeping them in an array and changing a base pointer (and
doing a mod on each index into it).

-- Bruce

Do you mean something like a little wp workspace ptr:-)

regards

johnjakson_usa_com
Old June 24th 04, 07:23 PM
Terje Mathisen

john jakson wrote:

Bruce Hoult wrote in message ...
But how are you going to efficiently emulate the register rotation
itself, if the IA64 emulated registers are in 128 ordinary registers in
a conventional CPU?

Depending on the ratio of rotates to computation you could be much
better off keeping them in an array and changing a base pointer (and
doing a mod on each index into it).

I had this particular problem a long time ago, when implementing the
sliding window extension to my version of Kermit.

Today the fastest way is probably to use one (or even two) compares and
then a conditional/predicated move/subtraction to adjust, right?

Since Kermit could settle on arbitrary window sizes, I had to find a
fast way to determine not just the current packet, but also [curr-N].
The solution I settled on was to waste a little memory, and use a level
of indirection that used a power-of-two-sized table which pointed into
the real packet buffer array. :-)

Do you mean something like a little wp workspace ptr:-)

What impresses me is that HP/Intel decided they could implement a mod-96
register indirect access without causing this to become a critical path.

With OOE I would expect all this logic to be handled early in the
(decoding?) pipeline, so that the actual execution logic wouldn't see it
at all, right?

Terje

--
-
Old June 28th 04, 12:25 PM
Alexis Cousein

Bill Todd wrote:

Last I heard, the only thing that made the software emulation
look particularly good was the fact that it was less utterly abysmal than
the hardware kludge (i.e., might now be approaching 1.5 GHz P4/Xeon speeds -
hardly inspiring, though probably adequate for a somewhat wider range of
loads than the hardware IA32 Itanic box is).

That's a correct assessment, IMO (if it weren't using such laden terms).

Still, OpenOffice does run quite good on a 1.5GHz P4, and finding
128 CPU P4 1.5GHz NUMA-machines *is* rather hard .

You wouldn't want to run your performance-critical applications with it
(surprise, surprise: you'd better have little-endian 64-bit clean source
code, or an IA64 binary, for those) -- but at least your glue logic/GUI/
toolsets etc. do work (even though it takes some Linux gymnastics with
alternate glibc versions to make very *old* IA32 binaries work).

For other applications that I shan't detail, IA32EL is now fast enough
to make other parts of applications be the bottleneck -- which couldn't
exactly be said of the hardware engine. Especially when they can
be multi-threaded.