Which Fan for overheating hard disks

Old August 18th 04, 05:00 AM
anneAnna

Default Which Fan for overheating hard disks

There are 2 hard drives and one of them is overheating badly.
I've done some prelim searches, but am very confused about what to buy.

I guess I need a fan or fans, but do I need a fan controller?
Some sites give compatibility info, but most don't. Is this essential?

The 2 drives are in the 2nd and 3rd slot (bay?) from the bottom.
The system is Athlon.

Please bear with me, I don't have the technical jargon. Thanks

ana
Old August 18th 04, 07:07 AM
kony

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:00:17 GMT, anneAnna
wrote:

There are 2 hard drives and one of them is overheating badly.
I've done some prelim searches, but am very confused about what to buy.

I guess I need a fan or fans, but do I need a fan controller?

Not necessarily... if you buy fans that are too fast and loud you
might WANT one, but you don't "need" it.

Some sites give compatibility info, but most don't. Is this essential?

Compatibility info means what exactly?
You need fan(s) of proper dimensions, mounting ears that accept
the attachment method your case uses (typically plastic cage or
metal screws), and a plug compatible with your needs, whether
that be a 3-pin connector for an unused motherboard fan header
(and fan wire/leads long enough to reach that header), a molex
4-pin connector to connect directly to the power supply, OR an
extension cable with or without adapter function to convert
between the 3-pin motherboard and 4-pin molex type of connectors.
http://www.svc.com has very low prices on such extension and
adapter cables and very low shipping if only small items like t
his can be shipping regular USPS ground (but that takes 2-3 weeks
to arrive).

The 2 drives are in the 2nd and 3rd slot (bay?) from the bottom.
The system is Athlon.

If the drives are stacked one atop the other then lack of airflow
can make one (or both) drives overheat somewhat even with a
fan... ideally there should be at least 1 cm inbetween the drives
for airflow, and either a fan in front of them (front meaning
front-side of case) to push air though, or large holes in metal
wall of case so rear fans can pull air in though this passive
intake, still pulling air though the gap between the drives.

If your case doesn't allow space between the drives you might
consider a 5 1/4" bay mounting. Suitable hard drive coolers and
mounting brackets are available or use the old traditional metal
rails that screw to the sides and a front faceplate cover that
allows air to be drawn in.
Old August 18th 04, 08:18 AM
anneAnna

wrote:

There are 2 hard drives and one of them is overheating badly.
I've done some prelim searches, but am very confused about what to buy.

I guess I need a fan or fans, but do I need a fan controller?

Not necessarily... if you buy fans that are too fast and loud you
might WANT one, but you don't "need" it.

Some sites give compatibility info, but most don't. Is this essential?

Compatibility info means what exactly?

There is one site which states compatibility with Pentium4 or Athlon,
and some other I don't remember. Quite specific.

You need fan(s) of proper dimensions, mounting ears that accept
the attachment method your case uses (typically plastic cage or
metal screws), and a plug compatible with your needs, whether
that be a 3-pin connector for an unused motherboard fan header
(and fan wire/leads long enough to reach that header), a molex
4-pin connector to connect directly to the power supply, OR an
extension cable with or without adapter function to convert
between the 3-pin motherboard and 4-pin molex type of connectors.

I know what you mean but I'm a bit lost inside the computer.
I'll look inside tomorrow in better light.

However here's what "Ultra 3.5" Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler 2 60mm Fans"
says at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=706428

Installation:

* Insert the Ultra Hard Disk Cooler into the base of the hard drive
enclosure and secure with screws.
* Next, slide the unit into the hard drive module and secure with
screws Now, just place it in your computer
You're ready to go!

http://www.svc.com has very low prices on such extension and
adapter cables and very low shipping if only small items like t
his can be shipping regular USPS ground (but that takes 2-3 weeks
to arrive).

Thanks for the link, svc.com certainly has low prices.

The 2 drives are in the 2nd and 3rd slot (bay?) from the bottom.
The system is Athlon.

If the drives are stacked one atop the other then lack of airflow
can make one (or both) drives overheat somewhat even with a
fan... ideally there should be at least 1 cm inbetween the drives
for airflow, and either a fan in front of them (front meaning
front-side of case) to push air though, or large holes in metal
wall of case so rear fans can pull air in though this passive
intake, still pulling air though the gap between the drives.

If your case doesn't allow space between the drives you might
consider a 5 1/4" bay mounting. Suitable hard drive coolers and
mounting brackets are available or use the old traditional metal
rails that screw to the sides and a front faceplate cover that
allows air to be drawn in.

I checked again and find that the 2 drives are mounted with one slot in
between and 1 slot free above the base. There should be plenty of space.

Thanks, ana
Old August 18th 04, 08:54 AM
kony

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:18:05 GMT, anneAnna
wrote:

Some sites give compatibility info, but most don't. Is this essential?

Compatibility info means what exactly?

There is one site which states compatibility with Pentium4 or Athlon,
and some other I don't remember. Quite specific.

Probably a nonsensical marketing blurb, the CPU in the system has
no bearing on what you need to cool the hard drives. more
relevant would be the case design but there's no way they could
be so specific to cover all potential case and drive
configurations, the most that can be hoped for is a good picture
of the device.

[...]

If you had room under the drive then one of those could work, but
it can't cool two drives very well, and does nothing to bring
more cool air into the system, which is generally the better
method if possible, if the case allows for this.

Certainly that cooler Tiger Direct sells will be a lot better
than nothing, but if you have a free 5 1/2" bay (those holding
optical CDROM/RW/DVD/etc drives, there are also hard drive
caddies or permanent mount type that serve as coolers due to very
open intake in front if not fans built in.

Old August 18th 04, 11:52 AM
larrymoencurly

anneAnna wrote in message news:lvAUc.129240$M95.14073@pd7tw1no...

There are 2 hard drives and one of them is overheating badly.

The 2 drives are in the 2nd and 3rd slot (bay?) from the bottom.

That's about the worst way to mount drives. They should should be
installed with at least a half-inch of space between each drive for
better cooling.

"Ultra 3.5" Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler 2 60mm Fans" says at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools
/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706428

Don't order from TigerDirect (see www.resellerratings.com) or buy
Ultra brand junk. Besides how can you trust a company that says:

"In fact, through its advanced cooling mechanism,
it is guaranteed to reduce the noise level of
your hard drive, as well"?

IOW they're quieter than complete silence! I believe it!

Some HD coolers can make drives overheat if their fans fail because
there's almost no air flow without the fan. I'm not sure if that
model will, but it should be OK because it seems to simply bolt to the
bottom of the HD. OTOH it doesn't bring in air from the outside,
which can be 5-10C cooler than the interior air. But why bother with
any HD cooler when you can simply mount the drives vertically for
natural convection air flow, which will make any super-hot chips run
10-20C cooler? (I measured 68C vs. 53C, and this was outside the case,
in 24C surrounding air). This way you don't have to worry about
overheating if the fan fail, but you can still take advantage of a fan
anyway because the drives will be right next to the front case fan. I
hang HDs from the bottom drive bay (you may have to drill holes or use
big washers), on the sides of the bay rack, or on the bottom of the
computer case (drill holes underneath).
Old August 18th 04, 12:31 PM
Lordy

anneAnna wrote in

I know what you mean but I'm a bit lost inside the computer.
I'll look inside tomorrow in better light.

However here's what "Ultra 3.5" Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler 2 60mm
Fans" says at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?

Ed
pNo=706428

Installation:

First, before getting HD Cooler, have a look at the front panel from
inside the case (behind the HDs). They may already be a mounting point
for a standard 120mm fan.(or maybe 92mm) If so, get one. It it runs
loud, put it on 7 volts (red and yellow) or 5 volts (red and black) or
better still, get a fan controller at the same time as your 12cm fan
order.

Note - My 120mm fan was quite deep and I had to cut some of the case lip
to slide it in (so to speak

--
Lordy
Old August 18th 04, 09:44 PM
anneAnna

larrymoencurly wrote:
anneAnna wrote in message news:lvAUc.129240$M95.14073@pd7tw1no...

There are 2 hard drives and one of them is overheating badly.

The 2 drives are in the 2nd and 3rd slot (bay?) from the bottom.

That's about the worst way to mount drives. They should should be
installed with at least a half-inch of space between each drive for
better cooling.

"Ultra 3.5" Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler 2 60mm Fans" says at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools
/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706428

Don't order from TigerDirect (see www.resellerratings.com) or buy
Ultra brand junk. Besides how can you trust a company that says:

"In fact, through its advanced cooling mechanism,
it is guaranteed to reduce the noise level of
your hard drive, as well"?

IOW they're quieter than complete silence! I believe it!

Thanks for telling me about TigerDirect. I've no idea about which brands
are good, which junk. argh! In your opinion, what are good brands?

[...]

Als, drilling new holes and hanging drives will be way beyond what I'll
dare attempt, but certainly I am getting a much clearer picture about
cooling, and looking at the insides of the computer with more
understanding and less awe. thanks.
Old August 18th 04, 10:03 PM
anneAnna

wrote:

Some sites give compatibility info, but most don't. Is this essential?

Compatibility info means what exactly?

There is one site which states compatibility with Pentium4 or Athlon,
and some other I don't remember. Quite specific.

Probably a nonsensical marketing blurb, the CPU in the system has
no bearing on what you need to cool the hard drives. more
relevant would be the case design but there's no way they could
be so specific to cover all potential case and drive
configurations, the most that can be hoped for is a good picture
of the device.

Ha, what will people do to the ignoramus!

[...]

Guess I was thinking of putting a cooler in between the 2 hard drives,
there's a bay free. Also another free bay down at the very bottom.

Certainly that cooler Tiger Direct sells will be a lot better
than nothing, but if you have a free 5 1/2" bay (those holding
optical CDROM/RW/DVD/etc drives, there are also hard drive
caddies or permanent mount type that serve as coolers due to very
open intake in front if not fans built in.

My logic was flawed before reading this post. I had thought that
3.5" fans mounted almost piggy back on the hard drives would cool better
than a 5.5" because the lowest 5.5" bay is quite a distance from the
hard drives, and has the floppy disk in between. Because there are 2
5.5" drives, DVD ROM and CD R/W, there seems to be so many flat
connecting cables in the way, too.

Is Cooler Master a good brand? or Vantec?
Old August 18th 04, 10:12 PM
anneAnna

Lordy wrote:

[...]

I see them!! I mean I see devices with colored wires terminating in
plastic thingies I'd call "plugs". Are these the mounting points?

I see a large oone with red and black wires and smaller with red and
yellow wires hanging free, both leading from the large battery.

There is one that comes out from the back of the hard disk. Thing is,
it's got 2 black, 1 red and 1 yellow.

Does this mean auto volt-switch? Or should I connect one from the battery?
Old August 19th 04, 02:19 AM
Lordy

anneAnna wrote in

First, before getting HD Cooler, have a look at the front panel from
inside the case (behind the HDs). They may already be a mounting
point for a standard 120mm fan.(or maybe 92mm) If so, get one. It it
runs loud, put it on 7 volts (red and yellow) or 5 volts (red and
black) or better still, get a fan controller at the same time as your
12cm fan order.

Note - My 120mm fan was quite deep and I had to cut some of the case
lip to slide it in (so to speak

I see them!! I mean I see devices with colored wires terminating in
plastic thingies I'd call "plugs". Are these the mounting points?

No. They are plugs
What I meant is that look at the actual front of the case from inside,
just infront of the HDs. If you see four holes arranged in a square
approx 12cm appart then these are most likely for you to put a 12cm fan
there.
Are you saying there is already a fan in the front of the case?

I see a large oone with red and black wires and smaller with red and
yellow wires hanging free,

Those are power supply wires (for reference yellow=12v, red=5v,
black=Ground) but dont worry about that just yet...

both leading from the large battery.

What battery? Do you mean a power supply unit (PSU) that you mains lead
plugs into?

There is one that comes out from the back of the hard disk. Thing is,
it's got 2 black, 1 red and 1 yellow.

Does this mean auto volt-switch? Or should I connect one from the
battery?

Just look to see if the holes are there first. Please dont call it a
battery anymore

--
Lordy