Magnetic Ink?

Old June 26th 03, 12:51 AM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

Default Magnetic Ink?

One of the pieces of spam in my mailbox today mentioned selling "magnetic ink"
for use in printing the MICR line on blank check stock. Since I have a policy of
immediately deleting spam, I obviously did not go to this person's web site.

I am curious though. The inability of most banks to read non-magnetic coding put
a quick end to my experimentation with printing my own checks. Has someone
developed black ink with fine enough particles so as not to plug an ink jet
cart, or was this guy blowing smoke?
Old June 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

(LeeBos) wrote:

No, no smoke, see the following link.
http://www.g7ps.com/

Interesting. May have to try a cart to see how well it works.....
Old June 26th 03, 02:01 AM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

"Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041at compuserve com wrote:

Interesting. May have to try a cart to see how well it works.....

Upon a little further research in my trash folder, I notice that these are the
same G7 clowns that have been sending spam for ages. Won't reward them for that.
Old June 26th 03, 04:07 PM
John Pollard

Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr. wrote:
One of the pieces of spam in my mailbox today mentioned selling
"magnetic ink" for use in printing the MICR line on blank check
stock. Since I have a policy of immediately deleting spam, I
obviously did not go to this person's web site.

I am curious though. The inability of most banks to read
non-magnetic coding put a quick end to my experimentation with
printing my own checks. Has someone developed black ink with fine
enough particles so as not to plug an ink jet cart, or was this guy
blowing smoke?

Are you asking if there is such a thing as a MICR ink cartridge? The
answer is yes. If you are asking if there is MICR ink for an inkjet
printer, yes. Here is the first site I came upon, there may be
others. (Don't know whether this was your spammer's site).

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z66616015

--
John Pollard
j underscore pollard at mindspring dot com

Old June 26th 03, 04:52 PM
Lee Babcock

"Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr." wrote:

One of the pieces of spam in my mailbox today mentioned selling "magnetic ink"
for use in printing the MICR line on blank check stock. Since I have a policy of
immediately deleting spam, I obviously did not go to this person's web site.

I am curious though. The inability of most banks to read non-magnetic coding put
a quick end to my experimentation with printing my own checks. Has someone
developed black ink with fine enough particles so as not to plug an ink jet
cart, or was this guy blowing smoke?

Magnetic ink for lasers is readily available and has been for years.
Any good rebuilder of toner cartridges will have these available.
Regards
Lee

Old June 26th 03, 08:44 PM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

"John Pollard" wrote:

Are you asking if there is such a thing as a MICR ink cartridge? The
answer is yes. If you are asking if there is MICR ink for an inkjet
printer, yes. Here is the first site I came upon, there may be
others. (Don't know whether this was your spammer's site).

I know they have made MICR laser carts for a long time. Was surprised to see
them selling such an item as a MICR ink jet cartridge. The only way you can make
magnetic ink, at least economically, is to incorporate iron filings. Just having
a hard time believing the can do that without plugging up the jets.

Since the place selling these is a known major spammer, I'm highly suspect that
this is anything other than a private label cart with regular black ink.
Old June 26th 03, 08:46 PM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

Lee Babcock wrote:

Magnetic ink for lasers is readily available and has been for years.
Any good rebuilder of toner cartridges will have these available.

True. But that isn't ink, it's toner. Since toner consists of finely ground
polymers (among other things), it would be easy to incorporate some fine iron
dust in the blend.
Old June 26th 03, 09:23 PM
John Pollard

Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr. wrote:

I know they have made MICR laser carts for a long time. Was
surprised to see them selling such an item as a MICR ink jet
cartridge. The only way you can make magnetic ink, at least
economically, is to incorporate iron filings. Just having a hard
time believing the can do that without plugging up the jets.

Since the place selling these is a known major spammer, I'm highly
suspect that this is anything other than a private label cart with
regular black ink.

You may well be right, I have no personal experience with them. I
sure don't like spammers, but I'm not sure I'd assume they were
necessarily all frauds.

I was curious enough to call HP; they currently do not sell such a
product and they do not support such a product, and if that product
screwed up your printer, the warranty would be void. Of course, if HP
is hoping to sell such a product themselves one day, they probably
would not be rushing to support it from another company.

Old June 27th 03, 02:39 AM
Gary

I printed up my own cheques one time when I ran out and needed some. It
just takes longer to clear because they get rejected by the auto reader and
need to be keyed by hand. So if you want more time on clearing...... :-)

"Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041at compuserve com wrote in
message ...