First Time Overclocking Results

Old August 29th 03, 09:48 PM
uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse

Default First Time Overclocking Results

Currently upgrading my system..... specs so far:

Lian-Li PC6010 Case
Antec 480W TruBlue PSU
Asus P4C800-E Dlx
Intel P4 2.8c 800 FSB (Stock HS/Fan)
Generic 256MB 400DDR
Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS Pro 32MB
WD 40GB IDE / 27GB Maxtor IDE
Lite-On 52x CDRW
Coolermaster Round IDE/FD Cables
Lian Li Aquarium w/Cold Cathode kit

System is being slowly replaced, part-by-part, week-by-week. Next upgrade is
1GB Ram, then either 5900 or 9800 GPU, followed by 4 large HDDs and DVD+/-,
lastly will replace monitor, speakers, etc.

This is my first attempt at Overclocking, I used ASUS Probe and Fresh
Diagnose for system monitoring and benchmarks. Overclocking was performed
via ASUS BIOS in 5% FSB increments

CPU Bench Results -

Stock
WhetStone FPU 3438
DhryStone ALU 6401
Speed 2806 MHz

5% Overclock
WhetStone FPU 3598
DhryStone ALU 6520
Speed 2940 MHz

10% Overclock
WhetStone FPU 4192
DhryStone ALU 7051
Speed 3080 MHz

Memory Benchmark

Stock
Integer Assignment 21072
Real Assignment 21651
Integer Split 32334
Real Split 32298

5% Overclock
Integer Assignment 21586
Real Assignment 22098
Integer Split 32740
Real Split 32313

10% Overclock
Integer Assignment 14346
Real Assignment 14548
Integer Split 32302
Real Split 22800

Net Gains
CPU @ 5% OC WhetStone FPU - 4.65%
CPU @ 5% OC DhryStone ALU - 1.80%
CPU @ 5% OC Speed (MHz) - 4.78%
CPU @10% OC WhetStone FPU - 21.93%
CPU @10% OC DhryStone ALU - 10.15%
CPU @10% OC Speed (MHz) - 9.76%
MEM @ 5% OC IA - 2.43%
MEM @ 5% OC RA - 2.06%
MEM @ 5% OC IS - 1.25 %
MEM @ 5% OC RS - 0.04%
MEM @ 10% OC - Major Loss

Ok, theres the numbers. ASUS Probe reported no major shift in Idle CPU Temp
during the changes to FSB and ran between 35-40 C at idle, maxing out @ 50 C
while Benchmarking @ 220Mhz FSB.

Problems :
With FSB at 210Mhz (5%) Asus Probe reported the CPU Fan RPM was 0, but
reported over 2000 RPM at both 200 and 220 FSB.
Memory Performance saw gains with 210MHz FSB, but took a major hit with
220MHz FSB.

I'm going to research ways of slowing down my 400MHz Memory as the FSB
increases, but I will be replacing my current memory with Dual Channel
Corsair 1GB Total and am wondering if this is a good reason to get 500Mhz
modules. Isn't it true that higher Mhz Mem trades in lower latency for the
speed gain? Does that matter?

Any feedback and/or advice for this OC'ing Newb is greatly appreciated.

Old August 29th 03, 10:38 PM
Frank Weston

See the other discussion on this subject under the heading of "memory
decision with p4c800E-deluxe"

Do all your overclocking in the manual mode. For some settings, check the
"help in overclocking thread"

With your setup, you should get pretty good results running FSB at about 240
to 250 and using PC4000 memory with a 1:1 divider. The OCZ PC4000 gets
pretty good reviews.

"uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse" wrote in
message news:d_O3b.84644$kP.28193@fed1read03...

Old August 29th 03, 11:04 PM

"Frank Weston" wrote in message
See the other discussion on this subject under the heading of "memory
decision with p4c800E-deluxe"

Do all your overclocking in the manual mode. For some settings, check the
"help in overclocking thread"

With your setup, you should get pretty good results running FSB at about

240
to 250 and using PC4000 memory with a 1:1 divider. The OCZ PC4000 gets
pretty good reviews.

Some good reading there! Thanks for the reply.

Old August 30th 03, 02:36 PM
Thomas

uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse wrote:
Currently upgrading my system..... specs so far:

[snip]
System is being slowly replaced, part-by-part, week-by-week. Next
upgrade is 1GB Ram, then either 5900 or 9800 GPU, followed by 4 large
HDDs and DVD+/-, lastly will replace monitor, speakers, etc.

Go for the 9800. Better performance, quality and so on...

Thomas