SATA Cables and Normal Hard Drives

Old August 26th 04, 12:29 AM
Si

Default SATA Cables and Normal Hard Drives

Is there some sort of adapter that will let you use SATA cables with normal
hard drives? I have 4 hard drives and I thought if this were possible then
the inside of my case wouldn't look so cluttered.

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Old August 26th 04, 03:00 AM
Noozer

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/accessory.htm

Not sure that they're worth buying ... might be cheaper just to get new
drives.

Old August 26th 04, 03:49 AM
kony

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:29:50 +0100, "Si"
wrote:

Is there some sort of adapter that will let you use SATA cables with normal
hard drives? I have 4 hard drives and I thought if this were possible then
the inside of my case wouldn't look so cluttered.

Yes they exist, example:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...999-111&depa=0
It may not make it look THAT much less cluttered though, having
twice as many SATA cables and those things hanging off the back
of the drive. IMHO, you just need the proper length of rounded
PATA cables, save the serial ATA interface for the next drives
you buy.
Old August 26th 04, 06:54 AM

wrote:

Is there some sort of adapter that will let you use SATA cables with normal
hard drives? I have 4 hard drives and I thought if this were possible then
the inside of my case wouldn't look so cluttered.

Cheers.

Si

I was going to say if you do buy them - the adaptors which I use, get
them on Ebay . And thats one of the few recommendations Ill give to
Ebay since overall I dont think their prices are all that great but
the adaptors are cheap on Ebay and they work fine. The problem of
course is youre in the UK I assume so obviously it wont be worth it to
buy them from an american vendor. Its possible you could find some
cheap UK vendor on the UK website.

Either way - the rounded PATA cables or SATA with adaptors - would
work and decreases the clutter, The ribbon cables really make a mess
in there if you have lots of HDs and CD drives and DVD burners too.
The ones I got Silicon Image ---- also require a floppy disk type
power connector too so with many cases you end up using them all up.
If you only have one of course you need to buy two - 2 for each hard
disk and one for your floppy.

The only thing Id look out for is some posters claim some of those
rounded PATA cables are really fragile where the connectors are.

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 07:53 AM