Opinion needed on new AMD system and overclocking ability

Old November 2nd 03, 02:01 AM
Bill

Default Opinion needed on new AMD system and overclocking ability

Hello all,

I'm planning on a new AMD system on a tight budget. I'm not a gamer
only play Quake 2 and SimCity every now and then, do some development
with Visual Studio .Net, watch TV on the PC and plan on recording lot
of my favorite TV programs. And maybe overclock the CPU somewhat,
since the K7VM4 have greate overclocking features on it.

By the way if anyone have experience overclocking their AMD CPU on the
K7VM4 motherboard, what's the maximum overclocking for your setup and
still remain stable?

Appricate any comment or other recommendations in similar price range.
All prices in Canadian.

-AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton ($83)
-AsRock K7VM4 micro ATX (VIA KM400 chipset, on-board video chip, LAN,
sound, 3 PCI, and 1 AGP 8X) ($80)
-Single Infineon brand 512MB 333Mhz/PC2700 DDR RAM ($74)
-Lite-on 48X CDRW/16X DVD ROM combo ($74)
-Maxtor 120GB HD, ATA-133, 8MB cache, 7200RPM (existing)
-Winfast TV 2000XP Deluxe (existing)
-Floppy Drive ($15)
-Generic 300Watts mid-tower Case with extra case fan ($45)

Total: $426 including taxes

My concern is that since I'll like to do a lot of video captureing
with my TV turner card in Divx codec (640x480), would the onboard
video (set to share 64MB from main memory) become a bottle neck for
me?

Thanks
Bill
Old November 2nd 03, 03:16 PM
philo

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I'm planning on a new AMD system on a tight budget. I'm not a gamer
only play Quake 2 and SimCity every now and then, do some development
with Visual Studio .Net, watch TV on the PC and plan on recording lot
of my favorite TV programs. And maybe overclock the CPU somewhat,
since the K7VM4 have greate overclocking features on it.

By the way if anyone have experience overclocking their AMD CPU on the
K7VM4 motherboard, what's the maximum overclocking for your setup and
still remain stable?

Appricate any comment or other recommendations in similar price range.
All prices in Canadian.

-AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton ($83)

why do you think you need to overclock this cpu?
it's probably faster than you really need anyway

although i'm sure you could overclock as long as you do not overheat it...
i don;t think it would be worth the risk

Old November 3rd 03, 01:27 AM
Shep©

On 1 Nov 2003 17:01:57 -0800, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs (Bill)
wrote :

[...]

Put lots of RAM in.That's it

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 6th 03, 07:31 PM
Ric

Bill wrote:
[...]

if you *really* want to overclock (a barton 2500's pretty quick anyway!)
then get an asus a7n8x board and a separate graphics card.
get decent ram - you want DDR3200 really - i'd suggest crucial's as they're
v cheap and quick and top quality.
you want at least a 350W decent PSU...

Old November 7th 03, 02:09 AM
Bill

"Ric" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
[...]

I though of going with the a7n8x too, but that would be 30% over going
with the K7VM4 option.
Old November 12th 03, 06:46 AM
Alfred Klek

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
"Ric" wrote in message

Bill wrote:
[...]

yeah, i concur. you probably aren't going to feel much of a difference if
you overclock, and it is worth your while to go with a real good mobo (not
the place to save dough). asus makes a really good board. i've owned three
and they've all been really good to me.
alfred klek

Old November 12th 03, 07:30 AM
Mark Smith

All prices in Canadian.

-AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton ($83)

Where do you get the 2500 for that price ($60 american?)

Old November 13th 03, 10:31 PM
Bill

"Mark Smith" wrote in message news:Wrksb.177943$Fm2.162270@attbi_s04...
All prices in Canadian.

-AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton ($83)

Where do you get the 2500 for that price ($60 american?)

sorry that was a typo, it should be $129 Canadian.
Old November 13th 03, 10:37 PM
Bill

"Alfred Klek" wrote in message . com...
"Bill" wrote in message
om...
"Ric" wrote in message

Bill wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've had a few Asus borad in the past and never had any problem,
since AsRock is the a new spin off company of Asus for budget line MB.
I figure the K7VM4 should be just as good as far as realiability and
quality goes.

Bill