Basic SAN Question...

Old June 15th 05, 12:55 AM

Default Basic SAN Question...

I am trying to settle an argument at the office and I am hoping that
one of you can answer the question for me. It is fairly basic as I am
new to this whole SAN thing.

Suppose that I have two windows servers, each connected to a sepearte
LUN on an MSA1000 (each server can see his LUN but not the other
servers). Both servers and the disk are connected to a SAN switch.

Suppose I want to copy data from the SAN LUN on servera to the SAN LUN
on server b.

Does it work this this
servera - SAN - serverb

or
servera - SAN - LAN - serverb

What data goes over the LAN and what goes over the SAN?

Thanks
Dave

Old June 15th 05, 03:20 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Does it matter how I copy the data.
For example, mapping a drive or ftp? Say I make a request to copy a
large file from servera to serverb. Servera says I need the data off
the LUN, sends it through the HBA to the FC switch which says hey I
know where that LUN is and sends it to the appropriate LUN. Even
though servera cannot see the LUN for serverb the switch knows where
the LUN is at. Is this correct?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just want to make sure that I have
it.

Thanks Again
Dave

Old June 15th 05, 07:32 AM
Charles Morrall

skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
I am trying to settle an argument at the office and I am hoping that
one of you can answer the question for me. It is fairly basic as I am
new to this whole SAN thing.

Suppose that I have two windows servers, each connected to a sepearte
LUN on an MSA1000 (each server can see his LUN but not the other
servers). Both servers and the disk are connected to a SAN switch.

Suppose I want to copy data from the SAN LUN on servera to the SAN LUN
on server b.

Does it work this this
servera - SAN - serverb

No.

or
servera - SAN - LAN - serverb

Yes.

What data goes over the LAN and what goes over the SAN?

All data goes across the LAN. Nothing goes over the SAN as I think you mean
it, but of course the data gets transferred to/from each server across the
LAN and then to/from the MSA1000 over the SAN.

All the SAN is that you have (meaning you probably don't have any
third-party software or filesystem or some such) is a SCSI bus on a network.
Heck, Fibre Channel is a SCSI-3 protocol.

Thanks
Dave

Old June 15th 05, 03:49 PM
themeanies

I am trying to settle an argument at the office and I am hoping that
one of you can answer the question for me. It is fairly basic as I am
new to this whole SAN thing.

Suppose that I have two windows servers, each connected to a sepearte
LUN on an MSA1000 (each server can see his LUN but not the other
servers). Both servers and the disk are connected to a SAN switch.

Suppose I want to copy data from the SAN LUN on servera to the SAN LUN
on server b.

Does it work this this
servera - SAN - serverb

or
servera - SAN - LAN - serverb

What data goes over the LAN and what goes over the SAN?

Thanks
Dave

Think of the SAN as a very complex IDE or SCSI cable.
Now think of the LUN's in your SAN as an IDE or SCSI disk drive on that
cable.

For your scenario above it's the same as transferring data from an
internal disk on one PC to an internal disk on a second lan attached PC.
There is no way for the first PC to see the hard disks in the second PC
without going through the LAN and OS.

Note this is not the case in Clustering where 2 or more hosts are
attached to the same LUN for failover. But I don't think this is where
you were headed.
There does also exists Snap copies and mirroring and other such
functions to copy LUNs across the SAN but afaik these are not used on a
file level, but on a LUN level.

So let's see if I can draw your scenario.

ServerA attached to LUN-A, OS calls it the D: drive
ServerB attached to LUN-B, OS calls it the G: drive

ServerA maps a drive across the LAN to ServerB's G: drive calling it E:

On ServerA you xcopy a file from D: to E: and this is the path it takes:

LUN-A - SAN - ServerA - LAN - ServerB - SAN - LUN-B

FWIW, here's what happens with a LUN mirror/copy which is a function of
your SAN's storage processor.

ServerA attached to LUN-A, OS calls it the D: drive
ServerB attached to LUN-B, OS calls it the G: drive

A LUN mirror/copy is initiated to mirror LUN-A to LUN-B. This data
transfer is done over part of the SAN(inside the SAN's storage
processor). When it's completed, and provided there has been no IO to
the source and destination LUNs, ServerA's LUN-A and ServerB's LUN-B
will be identical. Effectively you've copied data across the SAN.

So data flows like this:

LUN-A - Storage Processor - LUN-B

Snap images are similar, but the snap image is an array of pointers to
the source data for reading vs. full IO. Takes up less space than a
full mirror of a LUN.

ServerA attached to LUN-A, OS calls it the D: drive
ServerB attached to LUN-B, OS calls it the G: drive

LUN-B is a snap image of LUN-A instead of a separate LUN.

On ServerB you copy a file from G: to a local C: drive and the data
flows like this:

LUN-A - Storage Processor - SAN - ServerB - Local disk C: on ServerB

Effectively you've copied data from ServerA's LUN-A to ServerB without
going over the LAN.

hth,
tM

Old June 15th 05, 09:10 PM
Kat

I think you have it wrong- it doesn't use the switch per se, it uses the
LAN- it would be the sanme as copying it from one server to another that was
NOT SAN attached.

Personally, I jus copy from server to server, I don't use FTP. But that's
just me. You aren't getting any more eprformance copying from san disk to
san disk than if you were copying local to local.

--
Kat
MCDBA # ? of Millions

What woud you do for a Kit Kat bar?
oups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 09:44 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

FTP is much faster then SMB/CIFS while copying major amounts of data from
the server to the server.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

"Kat" kit-kat bar wrote in message ...
I think you have it wrong- it doesn't use the switch per se, it uses the
LAN- it would be the sanme as copying it from one server to another that was
NOT SAN attached.

Personally, I jus copy from server to server, I don't use FTP. But that's
just me. You aren't getting any more eprformance copying from san disk to
san disk than if you were copying local to local.

--
Kat
MCDBA # ? of Millions

What woud you do for a Kit Kat bar?
oups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 11:57 PM
Nik Simpson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Does it work this this
servera - SAN - serverb

or
servera - SAN - LAN - serverb

What data goes over the LAN and what goes over the SAN?

With two servers each mounting their respective LUNs as local filesystems
there is no way for the basic OS to perform anything other than:

Lun1(SAN)-Server A -CIFS/NFS- Server B - Lun2(SAN)

Direct SAN to SAN copy would require a block level copy and would be done in
the array.

--
Nik Simpson

Old June 15th 05, 11:58 PM
Nik Simpson

"Ramesh Pun" wrote in message
it work this this
servera - SAN - serverb

And just what mechanism in the OS would that happen, inquiring minds want to
know.

--
Nik Simpson

Old June 17th 05, 03:57 AM
Ramesh Pun

I guess we need to define what a SAN is then.

For me a SAN is all the fabric components (HBA, switch, storage).

The only thing I would correct in that little diagram is make the arrows
double headed.

serverA - SAN - serverB

Now, we can expand the SAN

HBA-serverA - Switch - Storage - Switch - HBA-serverB

Now, the fact that server A and server B cant see each others storage is
secondary.
The config is correct.

If you wanted to copy data from serverA's LUN to serverB's LUN, you dont
necessarily have to go over a LAN link, you could do it with the storage
box. HP has business copy, EMC has time finder, I am sure IBM has some other
technology as well.

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
. ..