Second **internal hard drive in Dell Inspiron . Possible?

Old July 1st 04, 08:21 PM
Michael

Default Second **internal hard drive in Dell Inspiron . Possible?

Hi,

I am not a laptop user so please bear with me when I ask this question: Is
it possible to install two hard drives internally into a Dell Inspiron 8200
laptop? It seems like there would not be room for two hard drives that are
internal.

Mike
Mike

Old July 1st 04, 08:42 PM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Michael wrote:
Hi,

I am not a laptop user so please bear with me when I ask this question: Is
it possible to install two hard drives internally into a Dell Inspiron 8200
laptop? It seems like there would not be room for two hard drives that are
internal.

I don't know about this particular model. Laptop HDDs, like
normal IDE HDDs can be two to a bus. The limiting factor is
usually space and fixtures. If either is missing you cannot
install two drived gracefully. It might be still possible
to install two drived with the right data cable and an open
case (i.e. one drive connected but not mounted mechanically.)

Arno

Old July 1st 04, 09:22 PM
Jerry Peters

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Michael wrote:
Hi,

I am not a laptop user so please bear with me when I ask this question: Is
it possible to install two hard drives internally into a Dell Inspiron 8200
laptop? It seems like there would not be room for two hard drives that are
internal.

Mike
Mike

Depends on exactly what you mean by "internally". I have a Dell
latitude and there's no room to put in a second disk drive
permanently, but for a (significant) amount of money you can buy a
removable disk drive that plugs into the modular bay in place of the CD or
floppy drive.

Jerry
Old July 2nd 04, 12:26 AM
dg

With raid gaining popularity with the almost average PC user, I think we'll
be seeing 2 disk raid arrays in laptops before too long.

--Dan

Old July 2nd 04, 02:52 AM
Eric Gisin

Just like all those dual CPU laptops?

. com...

Old July 2nd 04, 11:17 AM
rstlne

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
Just like all those dual CPU laptops?

"dg" wrote in message
. com...
With raid gaining popularity with the almost average PC user, I think

we'll
be seeing 2 disk raid arrays in laptops before too long.

Woot..
I had a chuckle at his post
but yours was much better
:P

Granted
Dual core low power Athlon 64's

Not being a big HD guy (as many of you *******s here call me a troll, or at
least think it)
Would it be possible for 2 drives to be inside one housing with the main
reason being so you can connect 2 sata connectors for raid 0 ?

Old July 2nd 04, 01:15 PM
Nik Simpson

rstlne wrote:
"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
Just like all those dual CPU laptops?

"dg" wrote in message
. com...
With raid gaining popularity with the almost average PC user, I
think we'll be seeing 2 disk raid arrays in laptops before too long.

Woot..
I had a chuckle at his post
but yours was much better

Granted
Dual core low power Athlon 64's

Not being a big HD guy (as many of you *******s here call me a troll,
or at least think it)
Would it be possible for 2 drives to be inside one housing with the
main reason being so you can connect 2 sata connectors for raid 0 ?

Of course its technically possible, but it has an impact on a host of things
that are very important in a laptop such as:

Wieght
Power & Cooling
Size

Adding a second hard drive impacts all of these adversely.

--
Nik Simpson

Old July 2nd 04, 03:33 PM
Boll Weevil

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:26:55 GMT, "dg" wrote:

With raid gaining popularity with the almost average PC user, I think we'll
be seeing 2 disk raid arrays in laptops before too long.

--Dan

What??? You smokin crack?

Old July 2nd 04, 06:21 PM
Thomas Wicklund

Michael wrote:

Hi,

I am not a laptop user so please bear with me when I ask this question: Is
it possible to install two hard drives internally into a Dell Inspiron 8200
laptop? It seems like there would not be room for two hard drives that are
internal.

You might add an external hard drive (PC card, USB, etc). Even if there
is physical space for a second internal drive (doubtful), laptops run so
hot that the second drive would most likely cause things to overheat.

If you're running out of disk space, add an external drive or replace
the original hard drive with a larger model if one is available.