Need hard drive advice for Dell Inspiron 8200

Old June 28th 04, 02:08 AM
Michael

Default Need hard drive advice for Dell Inspiron 8200

Hi All,

I am not a laptop user, and I have been asked to replace a hard drive that
appears to be failing (failed confidence tests in the Dell Hardware
Diagnostics--SMART reports possible impending disk failure). And the drive
seems to be failing (slow file access, some blue screen errors, etc.)

I am writing because when I called Dell, the technician said that the hard
drive was an IBM Cascade 30 GB. When I looked up the drive name in Windows
XP Home Device Manager, the drive is identified as IC25N030ATCS04-0 (0's are
the digit, not the letter.) On Hitachi's website, this is a Travelstar 40GN
drive, not IBM, and Hitachi's specs note that the drive is ATA-5. Dell's
"Configuration as shipped new" reads as follows: HARD DRIVE, 30GB, IDE,
2.5" FORM FACTOR, 9.5 MM, IBM-CSD with a part number of 0K727.

I can't open the case up myself because of physical limitations, but I would
like to recommend a hard drive that would work for my friend. I have been
told that any of the Hitachi Travelstars would work. My concern is that few
people make ATA-5 drives anymore, and I want to get her something that will
likely work the first try. Dell isn't talking--the system is exactly two
years old and one year out of warranty.

Would any Travelstar model work? Why is there confusion between the
Hitchachi Travelstar and IBM names. I would like to get good bang for the
buck, or best compromise among price, speed, features, and reliability.

I would love any input you could offer. Thanks much. She has 256 MB RAM,
running XP home.

Old June 28th 04, 02:27 AM
Pen

IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi, hence the
name confudsion. Travelstars are also know as
Deathstars.

Old June 28th 04, 02:28 AM
Tom Scales

IBM sold their hard disk group to Hitachi along with the Travelstar name.
So, the drive is both an IBM and a Hitachi, but any comparable drive, of any
brand, will work fine. 9.5mm height. That's about it.

Tom

Old June 28th 04, 04:28 AM
Christopher Muto

you can use any 'ide' drive that has the 2.5" form factor drive and a
maximum height of 9.5mm. most notebook or laptop drives fit this
specification. you almost have to go out of your way to find something
different. these drives come with different storage capacities, not that
that makes them any bigger or smaller on the outside, just means they may
hold more or less than the 30mb that the current drive can hold. they also
come in different disk rotation speeds. basically the faster the disk spins
the better the overall performance and the higher the price. the drive it
self is fitted into a drive caddy that is specific to the laptop and then
the drive in the caddy slides into the side of the inspiron 8200 and is
secured by one screw. once you get the new drive you simply have to remove
the caddy with drive that is currently in the dell, remove the old drive
from the caddy, install the new drive into the caddy, and slide it back into
the dell. to be safe, shut down the laptop and then remove the a/c power
cord and battery and hold the power button for ten seconds before you remove
the drive. removal instructions can be found here for the inspiron 8200...
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...dd.htm#1084976

some drive suggestions...
30gb 4200rpm ibm/hatachi for $82
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100514
30gb 5400rpm ibm/hatachi for $83
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100523
30gb 4200rpm toshiba for $90
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=101608 (out of
stock)
40gb 4200rpm fujitsu for $91
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100010
40gb 5400rpn fujitsu for $104
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100049 (probably
the best deal and bang for the buck).

your current drive is probably a 4200rpm, look up the specs to be sure. it
would make sense to get something out of this rebuild effort, like a better
performing system for just $20 more than going with the cheap drive that got
you in this trouble in the first place.

Old June 28th 04, 05:52 AM
Ron Reaugh

All the other advice you've gotten is good except get this one as it'll be
much faster:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100526

Old June 28th 04, 12:30 PM
Thomas M. Goethe

Or this one for extra space
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=100519-1 I found
this to be a lot faster than the 4200 rpm that came with my Inspiron. Very
easy to change them on the I8200. The manuals are located on the support
site for taking the PC apart.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

Old June 28th 04, 02:17 PM
Michael

Pen,

Death Stars?!?! Sounds a little harsh. Why do you feel this way?

Old June 28th 04, 05:10 PM
J. Clarke

Michael wrote:

Pen,

Death Stars?!?! Sounds a little harsh. Why do you feel this way?

He's misinformed. "Deathstar" is a play on "Deskstar", not "Travelstar".
Came about when what appeared to be an unusual number of failures occurred
with the 75GXP series--it's still not clear if there really were more
failures or if it's just that a few very vocal people experienced them.
There's a lawsuit in progress but whether it's going to go anywhere only
time will tell.

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Dan Foster

In article , J. Clarke wrote:
Michael wrote:

Pen,

Death Stars?!?! Sounds a little harsh. Why do you feel this way?

He's misinformed. "Deathstar" is a play on "Deskstar", not "Travelstar".
Came about when what appeared to be an unusual number of failures occurred
with the 75GXP series--it's still not clear if there really were more
failures or if it's just that a few very vocal people experienced them.
There's a lawsuit in progress but whether it's going to go anywhere only
time will tell.

They were indeed very real failures due to design. They fixed these via
later firmware revs which tweaked certain parameters (vague
recollection). It was so bad for a while that dealers actually pulled
the 75GXP from their shelves and sold the 60GXP in its place.

IBM fixed these 75GXP issues a few years ago, well before they sold the
disk storage division to Hitachi... but you know how people are -- burnt
badly once, twice shy. Can't say I blame them. So the 75GXP failures (as
with any spectacular failure) has a rather long shelf-life, apparently.

Failure modes with hard drives are, in general, not unusual... that's
why firmware upgrades for server class drives are so critical.

For instance, with a new drive array (not 75GXPs)... the vendor called
us and requested we upgrade to latest firmware because it adjusted key
thresholds for bad blocks before onboard controller considered a drive
to be failed -- threshold was previously too (unrealistically) high.

Also, the PFA (predictive failure analysis) on the drives were too
twitchy and often led to large numbers of false positive ( = RMA
returns) so they disabled PFA entirely and used other means to more
accurately monitor for developing health issues.

The 75GXP was just infamous because its failure mode happened far too
soon and essentially led to loss of all data on the drive. If you have a
drive that does _that_ even once, you're left with an extremely dark
impression of the manufacturer and their engineers, and often folks vows
to never buy anything from them again if they experience that. I still
remember the Zip Drive's 'click of death'.

-Dan
Old June 28th 04, 07:52 PM
chrisv

Dan Foster wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Michael wrote:

Pen,

Death Stars?!?! Sounds a little harsh. Why do you feel this way?

He's misinformed. "Deathstar" is a play on "Deskstar", not "Travelstar".
Came about when what appeared to be an unusual number of failures occurred
with the 75GXP series--it's still not clear if there really were more
failures or if it's just that a few very vocal people experienced them.
There's a lawsuit in progress but whether it's going to go anywhere only
time will tell.

They were indeed very real failures due to design. They fixed these via
later firmware revs which tweaked certain parameters (vague
recollection). It was so bad for a while that dealers actually pulled
the 75GXP from their shelves and sold the 60GXP in its place.

There are generally no problems with the Deskstar 75GXP. There are a
few attempting a smear campaign.

IBM fixed these 75GXP issues a few years ago, well before they sold the
disk storage division to Hitachi... but you know how people are -- burnt
badly once, twice shy. Can't say I blame them. So the 75GXP failures (as
with any spectacular failure) has a rather long shelf-life, apparently.

Utter nonsense. The 75GXP is very relaible and a few wackos have a
posting history of such anti-IBM slime like you.

Failure modes with hard drives are, in general, not unusual... that's
why firmware upgrades for server class drives are so critical.

All possible and could even explain a few multidrive failure reports.
BUT othing supports an kind of mass failures that the wackos are
claiming. Basically the 75GXP and 60GXP are fast and reliable HDs and
there isn't the slightest evidence to suggest otherwise.

For instance, with a new drive array (not 75GXPs)... the vendor called
us and requested we upgrade to latest firmware because it adjusted key
thresholds for bad blocks before onboard controller considered a drive
to be failed -- threshold was previously too (unrealistically) high.

It'll be fine and have few problems just like the 75GXP.

Also, the PFA (predictive failure analysis) on the drives were too
twitchy and often led to large numbers of false positive ( = RMA
returns) so they disabled PFA entirely and used other means to more
accurately monitor for developing health issues.

The 75GXP and now 60GXP are reliable and fast drives and there is NO
reputable information suggesting otherwise.

The 75GXP was just infamous because its failure mode happened far too
soon and essentially led to loss of all data on the drive. If you have a
drive that does _that_ even once, you're left with an extremely dark
impression of the manufacturer and their engineers, and often folks vows
to never buy anything from them again if they experience that. I still
remember the Zip Drive's 'click of death'.

And like other members of the slime cult, you'd like to make the
number of IBM failures look much larger than it is. Get a life.