Help please....on upgrading a AMD k6-2 350mhz to 550 mhz...on a 5150

Old November 23rd 03, 02:13 AM
peterw

Default Help please....on upgrading a AMD k6-2 350mhz to 550 mhz...on a 5150

I have an older box with a type 7 socket cpu running 350mhz in a
Compaq presario 5150 desktop. I was told by compaq support that I
could upgrade that to a 550mhz AMD-k6-2. What they couldn't tell me
was what jumper settings that I would have to change to utilize the
new processor. Can somebody please help on the settings and/clocking?
peter
Old December 1st 03, 06:04 PM
Nicolas The Great

(peterw) wrote in message . com...
Nick,
Appreciated the answer. Can you tell me what you are upgrading to for
$150 as far as cpu and mb & tower? Do you have a recommended website
or location? It sounds as if this would be the best answer...
peter

(Nicolas The Great) wrote in message . com...
(peterw) wrote in message . com...
I have an older box with a type 7 socket cpu running 350mhz in a
Compaq presario 5150 desktop. I was told by compaq support that I
could upgrade that to a 550mhz AMD-k6-2. What they couldn't tell me
was what jumper settings that I would have to change to utilize the
new processor. Can somebody please help on the settings and/clocking?
peter

Sorry to say you don't want to waste your time and money on that upgrade.
I have the same problem and I'm just going to buy a new CPU, mobo, and
a tower. For $150 I can do the upgrade. yeah, I have the presario 5070
and it's just a waste to upgrade to a 550mhz.

Nick

Well that estimate was off by $50 - With this set-up you would
need a video card. what I WOULD NEED. I was thinking about a
Celeron 1.7, Asus mobo, Asus video card,

If you think about the computer and all of the parts in that tower.
There is NO video card, the RAM is not DDR, and the PSU is not good
enough.

So I would have to get a mobo with video on board and RAM slots
that are SDRAM (you can get one with bother DDR and SDRAM)

You have to think what parts you can use from the old presario to
use with the new PC.

Hard drive
cd-rom
RAM - ?
floopy

New parts

Asus mobo $62
Celeron $51
Tower/PSU $50
Asus video $40
About $200

Asus mobo
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

Tower case - You can pick any case on this page that looks good for
under $50 with a PSU -
http://pcclub.com/product_list.cfm?c...subcat1=ATX%20
form%20factor&subcat2=Mid%20tower

Video card - first one on the page for $37
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp
submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1315&DEP A=1&sortby=14&order=1

So for about $200 you can get inexpensive computer and upgrade
from there when you have extra money. You could go a cheaper route
with a socket 370 and a pentium III, and mobo but I'd stay with
socket 478. If you do an upgrade let me know what route you go.
Take care.

Nick
Old December 2nd 03, 02:50 AM
peterw

Nick,
Great help, great prices as well. Many thanks. I am leaning towards
the entire package. It has lots of flexibility.
peter

upgrading 2 year old system for HL2 David J Burns Ati Videocards 10 November 10th 04 02:05 AM
Upgrading to a S-ATA disk with Asus P4PE - Help? Azaran2003 Asus Motherboards 1 October 14th 04 03:45 PM
Worth Upgrading? fatboy Ati Videocards 6 December 21st 03 08:07 AM
Upgrading from P-4 1.7GHZ Keith Perry Overclocking 6 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM
Worth upgrading to P4P8x? Shiranui Gen-An Asus Motherboards 0 July 15th 03 03:32 AM