Backups to CDRW DVDRW over muliple discs?

Old May 23rd 04, 12:03 PM
I_N

Default Backups to CDRW DVDRW over muliple discs?

Does anyone know of any software that can backup data files using a backup
set to DVD or CD
Essentially I need something that can treat the DVD/CD writer similar to a
tape drive so it can span discs rather than having to ensure the backup
files fit on to one disc
Also so i can run the backup regularly and restore from it

I find having to fit to one disc means I have to exclude directories and
then remember which ones i have excluded for the next disc

Also I know some programs do a partition copy - but i don't want to copy an
entire partition
and I also don't want to have to restore an entire partition
I would like to be able to restore specified files from the backup

I have searched Google but not found anything suitable yet...

cheers

Ian

Old May 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Graham Mayor

FWIW disc image apps like Norton Ghost do provide for individual files to be
restored, and you can also choose to exclude files from your image backup at
the write stage if you wish, but the process is essentially that of
partition imaging which you don't want. Frankly Ghost has saved my bacon so
many times, I swear by it - though life is too short to wait around and feed
a disc writer with the 20+ discs it takes to backup my data drive. I'll
stick to an external hard drive for this.
http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm

--

Graham Mayor

Old May 23rd 04, 08:10 PM
Dave Cohen

I love imaging software for my os partitions, but prefer file backup
software for data.
Basically what you are looking for comes in two flavors, one requires udf
formatted media (disk2disk is good). The second type doesn't, but I have
never seen freeware for either. People like nti, veritas (if they are still
in business) and others sell this, expect to pay over $50.
I've just done some archive backup of photos and stuff using winzip.
Basically you zip the data, then split using winzip and burn. Downside is
time and you need adequate free space. You can restore one or all directly
from the cd, but you have to be careful to put the correct cd in drive when
requested before you say ok, winzip is not forgiving in this regard.
Dave Cohen

Old May 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

I_N wrote:

Does anyone know of any software that can backup data files using a backup
set to DVD or CD
Essentially I need something that can treat the DVD/CD writer similar to a
tape drive so it can span discs rather than having to ensure the backup
files fit on to one disc
Also so i can run the backup regularly and restore from it

I find having to fit to one disc means I have to exclude directories and
then remember which ones i have excluded for the next disc

Also I know some programs do a partition copy - but i don't want to copy an
entire partition
and I also don't want to have to restore an entire partition
I would like to be able to restore specified files from the backup

I have searched Google but not found anything suitable yet...

Handy Backup:
http://www.handybackup.com

Stomp Backup MyPC:
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp
Old May 23rd 04, 09:11 PM
Marlin Singer

I_N wrote:

Does anyone know of any software that can backup data files using a backup
set to DVD or CD
Essentially I need something that can treat the DVD/CD writer similar to a
tape drive so it can span discs rather than having to ensure the backup
files fit on to one disc
Also so i can run the backup regularly and restore from it

I find having to fit to one disc means I have to exclude directories and
then remember which ones i have excluded for the next disc

Also I know some programs do a partition copy - but i don't want to copy an
entire partition
and I also don't want to have to restore an entire partition
I would like to be able to restore specified files from the backup

I have searched Google but not found anything suitable yet...

cheers

Ian

Try Stomp Backup MYPC or Dantz Retrospect. Both will do what you want. I
have tried both and prefer Stomp. It seems to do better with using the
max burning speed of the drive.
Old May 25th 04, 03:50 AM
NobodyMan

On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:11:03 GMT, Marlin Singer
wrote:

I_N wrote:

[...]

Personally I would NEVER rely on a UDF-written CDR(W) to work as an
adequate backup medium. Packet writing works great until it doesn't -
at which point you are completely and totally buggered.

Old May 25th 04, 01:33 PM
TommyDale

Stomp BackupMyPC is okay for the average user. It is derived from the
old Veritas Backup Executive Pro software. The Dantz Retrospect is
more sophisticated, and is thorough. It is also more expensive.
Either one will do a good backup and restore on multiple disks. I
have used both and I prefer
The Dantz Retrospect, just for peace of mind. There are some
instances where
BackupMyPC fails to restore.

Upgrade Report [GeekTech: New App Makes Backups Easier - 09/07/2004] Ablang General 0 December 15th 04 04:10 AM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks Homebuilt PC's 3 April 21st 04 04:52 AM
CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks General 2 April 18th 04 10:01 PM
CDRW - obsolete for backups? Steve Cdr 27 October 10th 03 07:10 AM