Problem Connecting HP Blade to IBM SAN

Old March 21st 06, 02:23 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Problem Connecting HP Blade to IBM SAN

I have been trying to connect our HP BladeSystem to our IBM SAN with no
luck. I have tried with an hp bl25p and a bl30p. Our zoning is
correct because the QLogic BIOS on these blades can see the LUN
assigned to it. However when windows is booted neither the os or the
QLogic SanSurfer sees the lun. We have other devices connecting to the
SAN perfectly but these are the first HP Blades to get connected.
Has anyone gotten a similar setup working or can suggest possible
drivers to use? I've used drivers from IBM, Qlogic, and HP. Each
driver is slightly different, go figure, but none work.
Hardwa
OS - Windows Server 2003 w/SP1 and all updates
HBA - QLA2312 ( i've tried drivers for this card as well as for the
QLA2340 )
SAN - IBM DS4000 ( supposed to be compatible with HP blades, or so they
say )

I greatly appreciate any assistance with this frustrating problem.

Old March 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Verify that the World Wide Port Names on the Qlogic HBA's did not change
once the o/s is loaded. If your zoning is based on WWPN, this would be one
explanation.

Old March 23rd 06, 12:33 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Teracloud has a free FC ping utility that pings on WWPN. This might
help you determine if your WWPN is changing. (Ping yourself)

Old March 23rd 06, 06:24 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Thanks for the free FC ping utility. I was able to get replies from
another system, not an HP blade, from the san and the LUN's assigned to
it.
Trying from the Blades with the problem however it still doesn't work.
using the option of fcping -d, which looks for remote devices, it
doesnt' find anything.

The Qlogic BIOS and the OS see both the same WWN for the host. Our
zoning is based on wwn but since the os and the card see the same name
then that should still work.

Old March 24th 06, 01:59 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the free FC ping utility. I was able to get replies from
another system, not an HP blade, from the san and the LUN's assigned to
it.
Trying from the Blades with the problem however it still doesn't work.
using the option of fcping -d, which looks for remote devices, it
doesnt' find anything.

The Qlogic BIOS and the OS see both the same WWN for the host. Our
zoning is based on wwn but since the os and the card see the same name
then that should still work.

Typically , there are two unique 64-bit identifiers per HBA port. The
Worldwide Node Name and the Worldwide Port Name. Qlogic follows this rule.
Your zoning should be based on the Port Name not the Node Name. The best
way to check if the WWPN is changing, log into the fibre channel switch
management console and compare the WWNN/WWPN when only the Option ROM is
logged into the fabric vs. when the driver initializes and the o/s is
running. Also, if you're using any type of host based access on the target
(LUN masking), the WWNN/WWPN changing between option rom vs. driver would
break this as well.

The Moojit

Old March 25th 06, 12:48 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What switch and SAN OS are you connecting to? Is it Cisco?

Old March 30th 06, 05:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

I was able to get an HP rep out to look at the problem first hand and
after a few days of both of us being completely confused, we turned up
a driver that was hidden on IBM's website which supported connecting
our HBA to an ibm san. after this was installed all is now well with
the blades and the san. I thank you all for your insight.

Old April 4th 06, 08:31 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was able to get an HP rep out to look at the problem first hand and
after a few days of both of us being completely confused, we turned up
a driver that was hidden on IBM's website which supported connecting
our HBA to an ibm san. after this was installed all is now well with
the blades and the san. I thank you all for your insight.

What type switch are you using, Cisco had a problem with Qlogic blade server
HBAs.

Old April 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

ramcke44 wrote:
"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was able to get an HP rep out to look at the problem first hand and
after a few days of both of us being completely confused, we turned up
a driver that was hidden on IBM's website which supported connecting
our HBA to an ibm san. after this was installed all is now well with
the blades and the san. I thank you all for your insight.

What type switch are you using, Cisco had a problem with Qlogic blade server
HBAs.

the fiber switches that we use are a combination of IBM, EMC and HP but
they are all brocade switches.

It seems as if the driver that i said worked, hasn't actually fixed all
our problems so i'm still in search of more things that i can
troubleshoot, if anyone has any new information.

Old April 30th 06, 02:43 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

"Viper" wrote in message
ups.com...

ramcke44 wrote:
"Viper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was able to get an HP rep out to look at the problem first hand and
after a few days of both of us being completely confused, we turned up
a driver that was hidden on IBM's website which supported connecting
our HBA to an ibm san. after this was installed all is now well with
the blades and the san. I thank you all for your insight.

What type switch are you using, Cisco had a problem with Qlogic blade
server
HBAs.

the fiber switches that we use are a combination of IBM, EMC and HP but
they are all brocade switches.

It seems as if the driver that i said worked, hasn't actually fixed all
our problems so i'm still in search of more things that i can
troubleshoot, if anyone has any new information.

Qlogic blade HBAs use a WWN format that is typically reserved for targets.
Some older switch firmware versions have problems with this as they are not
expecting to zone a target to a target. We ran into this when we first
deployed blades a couple of years ago on Cisco switches. This may not be the
case with Brocade but I would try upgrading the switch firmware first.