Cheap Way To Share Fibre Channel Storage

Old June 13th 05, 04:56 PM
mf

Here is a URL for an article that discusses registry changes to create
READ-ONLY removable media. I'm not sure that it is pertinent to the
subject of this thread. A larger problem appears to be the FS mount.
http://windowsitpro.com/windowsstora...380/44380.html

Old June 13th 05, 09:17 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

I've heard there is some sort of registry setting or add-in that would
allow you to do a Read-only NTFS mount. Can't get much simpler than

XP and later can do this by default without any tuning. w2k and earlier -
cannot without a disk filter driver.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old June 13th 05, 11:44 PM
Nik Simpson

"Will" wrote in message
No, our application is write once every two weeks, but read
10,000 times a day. We don't need to track writes to the disk,
and on those days when writes take place, the readers can simply
be rebooted.

If you are going to manually reboot every time the writer "writes" then you
might get away with this approach, anything else is likely to lead the
"readers" into random blue screens (well more random than normal :-) as they
occasionally get inconsistent data from what they *believe* is a read-only
device.

Silly question, but why not serve the disks up to the "writer" and share it
from so that the readers access via a network share?

--
Nik Simpson

Old June 14th 05, 12:14 AM
Will

It's a good question, but it was just my assumption that the network
introduces latency on each operation. When you need to open thousands of
files quickly every 10 ms delay per file adds up.

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

news

Old June 14th 05, 09:56 AM
Huba

Will napisał(a):
I'm looking for a cheap way to have more than one computer share
read-only access to fibre channel storage under Windows 2000.
I'm using Compaq fibre channel arrays for the hardware, and those
are fine for low-end use, but they don't have any option
internally to give read-only access. A host is designated in
the Compaq software as either having full access or no access.
If multiple Windows hosts try to write to the same logical
device, they will trash sensitive file system structures on the
disk.

Is there any low-priced software that would run as a service on
Windows that would prevent any attempt to write to designated
disks? The service would need to be fairly low level and would
need to prevent the Windows kernel from writing to the disk.

Maybe Tivoli SANergy software would help you - but I'm not sure if it's
Cheap ;-).
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivo...ducts/sanergy/

Huba
Old June 14th 05, 11:56 AM
Nik Simpson

"Will" wrote in message
It's a good question, but it was just my assumption that the network
introduces latency on each operation. When you need to open thousands of
files quickly every 10 ms delay per file adds up.

I'd certainly be tempted to give it a try, if it works, its a lot easier
than trying to share the device via the SAN without using software designed
for that purpose.

--
Nik Simpson

A8V not booting Rob Asus Motherboards 7 May 22nd 05 10:13 AM
Rules of the Road for Fibre Channel Interop news.directlink.net Storage & Hardrives 6 February 26th 04 09:17 PM
FA Fibre Channel Hardware Tom Olson Compaq Servers 1 February 6th 04 07:34 PM
FA Fibre Channel Hardware Tom Olson Storage (alternative) 1 February 4th 04 11:30 PM
dual channel U2 storage system Martin Rogoff Compaq Computers 1 September 17th 03 11:15 PM