Intel - AMD, what's equivalent?

Old December 10th 04, 05:36 AM
pjp

Default Intel - AMD, what's equivalent?

I'm not looking to start anything ...

Shopping for new pc but have never had other than Intel cpu's. Have no idea
what's comparable for each Intel family for AMD, e.g. their naming/numbering
system means nothing to me.

For example, I have no idea what AMD cpu competes against an Intel P4-2.8
Gz.

Anyone point me someplace for some simple chart?

Old December 10th 04, 06:37 AM
bill bixby

"pjp" wrote in
:

I'm not looking to start anything ...

Shopping for new pc but have never had other than Intel cpu's. Have no
idea what's comparable for each Intel family for AMD, e.g. their
naming/numbering system means nothing to me.

For example, I have no idea what AMD cpu competes against an Intel
P4-2.8 Gz.

Anyone point me someplace for some simple chart?

well that 4 digit number is the "P rating" or in their opinion the
equivency in P4
whitch leads every1 to udder confusion

but rather look at the spec and cost of your chosen P4 sys and see where
the equivelent AMD price is

the 939 sempron is suppose to debut in the next Quarter 1st Q 2005
this means (hopefully) a rather speedy 939 with 64-bit disabled either
256(yuck) or 512 L2 running a ddr333
so i can go blow ~250 on a (real good)939 board and ~150 on a sempron

and next year give or take when i actually have some 64-bit software to use
i can drop another 200-300 on a FXxx(53/55/57/59) with 1~2mb L2

or for instant gratifcation try the socketA base kt880(or the newest nforce
should do but i pprefer via) chipset they top out at 110 but are 42-60 in
most forms 110 for 2x 256mb patriot TCCD on a brain board(capable of 300FSB
most) and can be reused in a later sys
and 77 for a 45w mobile or 93 for a 35w mobile
...almost forgot the 25 on a venus 12 hs/hsf
burn it in and crank it up to 2.7ghz P-rating of 3500+ or suppose to par
with the 3.5 P4??

Old December 10th 04, 10:37 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:36:14 +0000, pjp wrote:

I'm not looking to start anything ...

Shopping for new pc but have never had other than Intel cpu's. Have no idea
what's comparable for each Intel family for AMD, e.g. their naming/numbering
system means nothing to me.

For example, I have no idea what AMD cpu competes against an Intel P4-2.8
Gz.

Anyone point me someplace for some simple chart?

Athlon XP's and AMD 64's + numbers represent the cpu to be comparable to
P4's of the same clock speed. IOW's an XP 2800+ or A64 2800+ compare to a
P4 2800MHz CPU.

The Sempron model numbers compare it to the Celeron family of CPU's in the
same way.. IOW's a Sempron 2800+ is comparable to a Celeron 2800MHz cpu in
performance.

In real life this holds true except when you get to the top of the line
AMD XP cpu's, which, IMO are overrated a little. I also think the A64
4000+ is overrated a little, but there's no 4000Mhz P4 to confirm this.:-)

Old December 10th 04, 06:34 PM
pjp

Thank you. That's all I was hoping for, some simple comparism.

As an aside, the "other" reply wasn't very helpful at all

newsan.2004.12.10.10.43.18.117154@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old December 10th 04, 11:29 PM
Ykalon

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Not really.
An Athlon64 2800+ is way, way faster than an XP 2800+. The A64 modelling
numbers are more up to date with the competition (Intel) than the XP's.
XP 2800+ would compare with a 533 MHz fsb P4 2.8 (if one exists) but has
no chance against the P4 800 FSB.
Old December 11th 04, 04:07 AM
Pug Fugley

"Ykalon" wrote in message
Wes Newell wrote:

Not really.
An Athlon64 2800+ is way, way faster than an XP 2800+. The A64 modelling
numbers are more up to date with the competition (Intel) than the XP's.
XP 2800+ would compare with a 533 MHz fsb P4 2.8 (if one exists) but has
no chance against the P4 800 FSB.

If only Intel's numbers were close to accurate you might have an argument.
But alas, AMD still smokes Intel.

Old December 11th 04, 05:08 AM
Ykalon

Pug Fugley wrote:
"Ykalon" wrote in message

Wes Newell wrote:

Not really.
An Athlon64 2800+ is way, way faster than an XP 2800+. The A64 modelling
numbers are more up to date with the competition (Intel) than the XP's.
XP 2800+ would compare with a 533 MHz fsb P4 2.8 (if one exists) but has
no chance against the P4 800 FSB.

If only Intel's numbers were close to accurate you might have an argument.
But alas, AMD still smokes Intel.

Athlon64 2800+ usually wins over P4 3.0 even and in some games even 3.2
But the XP2800+ usually gets beaten by the P4 2.8 800 fsb.

Old December 11th 04, 06:42 PM
Courseyauto

"pjp" wrote in message
I'm not looking to start anything ...

Shopping for new pc but have never had other than Intel cpu's. Have no
idea
what's comparable for each Intel family for AMD, e.g. their
naming/numbering
system means nothing to me.

For example, I have no idea what AMD cpu competes against an Intel P4-2.8
Gz.

Anyone point me someplace for some simple chart?

Just get an FX55 and you will be the top dog.
Old January 9th 05, 03:04 AM
apdicenzo

dont listen to all the other crap, amd's dont match up to pentiums, go with
the best as i did, get the P4 3.46 extreme edtion which has 1066 FSB