Advice needed - Foam vs Aluminum filters?

Old July 14th 03, 03:15 AM
Dk975

Default Advice needed - Foam vs Aluminum filters?

I'm getting a Sunon 92mm fan (48 cfm, 33 dB) for a side panel, and would
like to get as much air in the case as possible without adding too much
dust. Am I better off with foam or aluminum mesh filters?

Old July 14th 03, 03:45 AM
Zypher

You know, dust is going to get in no matter what you do. But putting a
filter (media) in the air stream will result in less air... so the debate is
will the dust be more of a problem for heat or will less air? And, how much
convenience will be saved by using filters? How often will they (the
filters) need cleaning?

--
Zypher

Old July 14th 03, 01:30 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:15:31 GMT, Dk975 wrote:

I'm getting a Sunon 92mm fan (48 cfm, 33 dB) for a side panel, and would
like to get as much air in the case as possible without adding too much
dust. Am I better off with foam or aluminum mesh filters?

Use the foam (or fiberglass) filters. The aluminum filters are good
for the stove overhead vent and condense grease. Replace or clean
your filter as needed to keep the max airflow possible. It also helps
to get the case up off the floor, even 6" helps.
Old July 14th 03, 07:01 PM
Michael J. Apollyon

You're still going to get dust, but I'd go with foam...

This may sound a little crazy, but... if you're _really_
interested in high airflow, I'd take a look at some oiled
gauze or foam air filter media from the automotive world
(eg K&N.)