AIW 2006 PCI Express

Old July 31st 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mga

Default AIW 2006 PCI Express

Danny G. wrote:
If you are recording the VCR tuner output and then hit 'play'
for awile and then stop what happens?

I can view and record TV thru the VCR tuner fine. If I try to view or
record non-Macrovision tapes, I get the effects mentioned in a previous
message, they being different than if I try to view/record Macrovision
also mentioned before.

Do any of the USB 2.0 video capture devices work with the AIW 2006, or
will I have the same problems?

Old July 31st 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mga

Danny G. wrote:
Will using USB capture devices bypass the Macrovision from the AIW card?

My AIW in/outputs go to the (vcr2) audio/video receiver (Pioneer vsx-d608) jacks and
that connects every component to my PC and each others S-video jacks.

I don't know why, but I think the Pioneer strips out the copyright protection for all the
components including Macrovision.

What model do you have?

Old July 31st 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

A USB capture device is a TOTALLY separate device. Any such device will
have nothing whatsoever to do with the AIW or the ATI software.

You note that you can record from the tuner; what happens if you try to
record the tape using RF inputs (e.g. using the VCR's channel 2 or 3 RF
output)?

Old July 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mga

mga wrote:
Danny G. wrote:

If you are recording the VCR tuner output and then hit 'play'
for awile and then stop what happens?

I can view and record TV thru the VCR tuner fine. If I try to view or
record non-Macrovision tapes, I get the effects mentioned in a previous
message, they being different than if I try to view/record Macrovision
also mentioned before.

Do any of the USB 2.0 video capture devices work with the AIW 2006, or
will I have the same problems?

I know the USB video capture device is another device, but it is not as
you call it "totally separate"; they interact with the video card,
otherwise why would the video devices made by some manufacturers
(Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum for example) have minimum
requirement for the video card (see link below).
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pinna...oductDetail.do

If I view/record the VCR's output coming out thru the VCR's RF output,
I still have the same issue. That would not be a solution anyway since
I am trying to capture through the S-Video input.

Old July 31st 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

mga wrote:
Danny G. wrote:

If you are recording the VCR tuner output and then hit 'play'
for awile and then stop what happens?

I can view and record TV thru the VCR tuner fine. If I try to view or
record non-Macrovision tapes, I get the effects mentioned in a previous
message, they being different than if I try to view/record Macrovision
also mentioned before.

Do any of the USB 2.0 video capture devices work with the AIW 2006, or
will I have the same problems?

I know the USB video capture device is another device, but it is not as
you call it "totally separate"; they interact with the video card,
otherwise why would the video devices made by some manufacturers
(Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum for example) have minimum
requirement for the video card (see link below).

Because they also have software for playback.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 31st 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mga

J. Clarke wrote:

mga wrote:
Danny G. wrote:

[...]

Do you know anthing about the quality of capture from these USB
devices?
Do you know if any of them capture in AVI format?

Old July 31st 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

The only other thing I can think of is looking out for one of the devices
that remove the macrovision e.g. macrovision busters.

Haven't tried one of these with a video capture card, friend used to use one
now and again for backing up video tapes.

Just another option to think of if things get really sticky.

Karl
Old July 31st 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

mga wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

mga wrote:
Danny G. wrote:

[...]

If you are looking to capture from a VCR and actually care about quality,
then get a DV camcorder with analog pass-through and capture via the
Firewire port. Canopus makes some capture devices that take an analog
input and give you a Firewire output with excellent quality, but the least
expensive of them doesn't work demonstrably better than a camcorder and
isn't any cheaper. The Canopus ADVC100 IIRC ignored Macrovision, the newer
ADVC110 however recognizes it. Not sure whether current-production
camcorders recognize it.

Old July 31st 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mga

J. Clarke wrote:
mga wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

mga wrote:
Danny G. wrote:

[...]

Any specific recomendations on the DV camcorder?

Curious, I don't need to do any of this to capture in AVI or any other
format with the AIW 7500; I guess that's progress.