New Barton XP2500 Temps

Old July 29th 03, 08:03 PM
Bodkin

Default New Barton XP2500 Temps

Hi Gang, just upgraded my XP 2100 to a 2500 Barton.

Checking the new CPU temperature and it has vastly shot up to 55-57 when
idle where as the old XP2100 was running at around 46.
This is the temperature in the BIOS and the one reported in Windows as well.

Obviously this is quite some difference and have checked the obvious
(Heatsink fitted Ok and correct amount of thermal goo etc) and am getting
quite worried about these temps for any future oveclocking.

Is this temperature correct?
Have I missed something obvious?
Should I be worried at these temps or is it normal?
Can anybody offer any help?

Chaintech 7NJS Zenith Mobo.
Barton XP 2500 CPU
2 x 512 MB DDR 400
Thermal take Volcano 9 with Arctic Silver 3
360W PSU
Excellent air flow.

Regards,

Bodkin

Old July 30th 03, 01:41 AM
Peter van der Goes

"Bodkin" wrote in message
[...]

I'd say something's wrong with that HSF reinstall. I have a 2500+ here on an
Epox mobo with a Volcano 9 running manual fan speed control at ~3000 RPM.
Case temp 28C room temp 25C and CPU temp never above 44C. BTW, my Barton is
overclocked to 166 x 12.5.
IIWM, I'd be redoing/rechecking the whole CPU/HSF install. This assuming
that your case temps vs. room temps bear out your assertion of excellent
airflow.

Old July 30th 03, 02:28 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:03:44 +0100, Bodkin wrote:

Hi Gang, just upgraded my XP 2100 to a 2500 Barton.

Checking the new CPU temperature and it has vastly shot up to 55-57 when
idle where as the old XP2100 was running at around 46.

Which 2100+? Palomino or Tbred? If it was a Palomino, did you lower vcore
to 1.65v for the barton? The 2500 barton should run cooler than either
2100+. More surface area to contact cooler. What's the fan speed on the
V9? There's so many questions it hard to provide a decent answer. One
thing for sure though, the V9 is not a very good cooler at lower fan
speeds, and not great at full power.