What store to go and see for myself in LA before buying a case?

Old July 13th 03, 12:26 AM
bobb

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:08:00 GMT, "JAD" wrote:

Isn't everyone Out of work in silicon valley?

We prefer to call it quality family time before the next fun ride.

I don't buy ANYTHING with a FRYS repackage sticker on it,
That's a deadly move, Cause EVERYTHING goes back on the self at least 2
times before it hits the BIN.

Hey, it's solid states, I ain't gonna sweat it if two guys plugged it
twice to test it.

This is because some people believe they don't
really know a product until they plug it in, usually BEFORE they read the
instructions.

True enough, more people ough to RTFM, but boxes are printed by
marketing, and the manuals typically don't tell you any pitfalls.

There was no way for me to know my new &^%$#% video capture board
insists on displaying the video (no way to disable it) therefore using
extra bandwidth that I can't spare. I just wanna record video, not
watch it in real time, how hard is for these people to put a disable
display option there? Noooooooo! Going back!

-bobb

Old July 13th 03, 03:47 AM
JAD

Why not a minijack to RCA (stereo) patch cord? almost all connections in
this manner would need to go through an amp anyway.?

"jaster" wrote in message
.com...

"bobb" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:35:34 GMT, "jaster" wrote:

You work for Fry's?

Heavens, NO. They hire no cute girls for me to get interested.

I really don't like returning merchandise and I only return merchandise

that
doesn't work.

Well, it's certainly no fun standing in that long returns line
specially weekends, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Hey, Fry's
management are no dummies and I don't presume so.

Here's an employee tip for you. For all merchandise placed on the

floor
Fry's should also place the merchandise manual. That might help with
the questions and returned merchandise. I've noticed this is usually

done
for m/bs, a/cs on display but Fry's should do this with all appliances,

home
theater receivers, audio receivers, tv, radios, refrigerators, pc

systems,
speakers, washer/dryers, etc.

I'm returning a Sony home theater because it doesn't support a phono

which I
would have noticed had a manual been available and features (like OSD,
universal remote control ) that don't work as implied, but the sound is
perfect.

Not a bad idea, but a simple look at the back panel for the phono jack
is easy enough. These day, I'd imagine if you insist on built-in phono
input, you are cornering yourself to a few models.

-bobb

Sounded like you worked there and yes cute young things.
Looked on the back but Aux meant phono to me. Remote had phono, OSD and
more on it. Get it home and nada.

Old July 13th 03, 03:53 PM
JAD

For gen-Xers music
was recorded by engraving tracks on vinyl platters before CDs.

Lp's ! I have many......and lots of mp3/CDA conversions from those
LP's..oldest genX alive today...thats me. ;^)

Its not the connection that's the problem it's the lack of preamp

thats what I was saying you need an amp between the phono and the soundcard
input anyway....it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just enough to boost
the signal. Then you use the patch cord i mentioned.

"jaster" wrote in message
.com...
. It's
like a bargain on a cpu + mb combo until you add in the cost of hsf.
I guess vendors figure if you can buy a high end receiver you can afford a
preamp or in Sony's mind replace your vinyl with CD.
"JAD" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Why not a minijack to RCA (stereo) patch cord? almost all connections in
this manner would need to go through an amp anyway.?

"jaster" wrote in message
.com...

Old July 14th 03, 08:24 PM
do_not_spam_me

"JAD" wrote in message rthlink.net...

Its pretty much a damn crap shoot, Quoting brands and marking them
untrustable based on your opinion will only get you a hundred replies
stating the opposite..I agree quality is important but hardly means
definte longevity or trustability

Nonsense. It's based on my experience and the experiences of people
I trust. One factor, TV/radio interference, is very easy to test and
is highly consistent because some manufacturers leave out components
to block interference. Another factor, power capacity, is harder to
test, but cheap 400W supplies often can't power systems for long that
quality 300W supplies can. Reliability can't be tested easily, but
when a supply has no thermistor to limit inrush current or uses smaller
chokes on the output filter, a smaller isolation transformer, and
transistors, diodes, heatsinks with lower capacities, it's unlikely
that any of these contribute to superior reliability.

Damn I didn't see that one coming......you got me....baited me
into a electrical engineers post, flinging around 20$ words,
Its your opinion remember that, you would have to spend a few thousand
dollars and a couple of years R&D on your theory before it would
even be considered fact.

We're not talking about meeting a 6 sigma standard of proof here, and
you've given no evidence to show that all power supplies are equaly
reliable or unreliable. And while reliability is a crap shoot, it's
not always the same crap shoot, as owners of Toyotas and Yugos can
tell you.

I'm saying the odds are better if you get a power supply that contains
heavier components, was assembled better, doesn't have any parts
intentionally left out, and, during the design process, was analyzed
and tested more thoroughly to weed out instabilities. Why would some
power supply makers waste time on those details if they didn't think
they improved reliability?

And if you have been around the corner a few times then this convo
is mute, because you already know its a crap shoot when buying
ANYTHING, that's its going to work when you get home.

Irregardlessly mute, right?