NIC Has Gotten Slow?

Old June 29th 14, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default NIC Has Gotten Slow?

Z87X-UD4H-CF

Been measuring it with a utility that copies a test file to a
destination on another device and back again.

Seems to me like it used to be well into the hundreds of Mbps.

Most recent test showed 15/86 Writing/Reading.

Unplug the Cat5e connector from the GigaByte mobo, plug it into my
laptop, and I get well into the hundreds both ways. This is repeatable
day-after-day.

I want to say that it used to be much faster - but do not have any
numbers written down to support that.... but still...

Can anybody suggest what's going on?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 29th 14, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Z87X-UD4H-CF

Been measuring it with a utility that copies a test file to a
destination on another device and back again.

Seems to me like it used to be well into the hundreds of Mbps.

Most recent test showed 15/86 Writing/Reading.

Unplug the Cat5e connector from the GigaByte mobo, plug it into my
laptop, and I get well into the hundreds both ways. This is repeatable
day-after-day.

I want to say that it used to be much faster - but do not have any
numbers written down to support that.... but still...

Can anybody suggest what's going on?

The only thing I can think of, is power management issues.

Look in Device Manager (Start : Run : devmgmt.msc) and
see if the Properties of the NIC have been set to allow
the computer to power it down when not in usage.

The other side of it, would be some behavior of the PCI
Express lanes to the NIC chip. An attempt to power
down the link perhaps.

When benchmarking, you can host the test files on a RAMDisk,
to remove physical drives from the picture. Or use a proper
LAN test program, to characterize performance without using
Windows File Sharing (which can be a pig at times).

RAMDisk Lite - can use AWE memory below 4GB, or PAE memory
above 4GB, but not both at the same time. Make the drive
big enough to hold your test files.

http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk

Paul