Compaq 7594 overclock

Old January 2nd 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
tapd

Default Compaq 7594 overclock

Hi everyone.I am new to this forum.Thouroughly enjoy reading everything that
you folks publish+very much appreciate the information sharing.I have been
using pc,s for many years but have just recently taken an interest in the
nuts+and bolts end of them.I am old time gearhead so this stuff should be
right up my alley.My situation:I have Compaq 7594.Its 5 or 6 years old and
still does everything that my family requires{minimal usage}.I have started
looking into upgrading and from what i have learned so far will probably buy
the compononents and build my own machine.More for fooling around purposes
than anything else i am looking to upgrade this 7594.Not prepared to spend a
lot of money.Oredered up some memory boards{for cheep}.Considered getting a
new processor.Understand that i can go up about 1 to 1.4 gh with this
mitac6513wu motherboard.I also got the impression from visiting overclocking
websites-a rerm that i have only recently become aqquainted with-that the
celeron 556 processor that that my machine has is very overclockable-up to
850mhz without having to extra cool it.The problem that i have encountered is
that i cannot find my way in the bios setup as to where to change the clock
speeds.Read the motherboard spec sheet from mitac and according to them i
should be able to select from the main menu something about load advanced
settings which should get me into that area.Have been unable so far to find
that.Everything in the bios setup says Compaq on top.I suspect that they have
locked this somehow to prevent me from doing this.Can anyone advise me on how
to circumvent this?

Old January 2nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Locked the BIOS? Well not exactly, but close. The BIOSes in motherboards of
name brand computers generally do not permit overclocking by changing the front
side bus speed. I have NEVER seen one that does since 486 days, when people
could adjust the bus clock via motherboard jumpers.

In addition, the Celeron and Pentium III processors themselves are clock-locked,
which means that you cannot change the clock multiplier burned into the chip at
the factory.

You're better off simply buying and installing the fastest processor that the
motherboard will take. Socket 370 Pentium 3 and Celeron processors are pretty
inexpensive right now... Ben Myers

Old January 2nd 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
tapd via HWKB.com

Thank you Ben-appreciate the info.

Ben Myers wrote:
Locked the BIOS? Well not exactly, but close. The BIOSes in motherboards of
name brand computers generally do not permit overclocking by changing the front
side bus speed. I have NEVER seen one that does since 486 days, when people
could adjust the bus clock via motherboard jumpers.

In addition, the Celeron and Pentium III processors themselves are clock-locked,
which means that you cannot change the clock multiplier burned into the chip at
the factory.

You're better off simply buying and installing the fastest processor that the
motherboard will take. Socket 370 Pentium 3 and Celeron processors are pretty
inexpensive right now... Ben Myers

Hi everyone.I am new to this forum.Thouroughly enjoy reading everything that
you folks publish+very much appreciate the information sharing.I have been

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 3rd 05 01:27 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM