Biostar 6100-M9 with EVGA 7600GT PCIx Graphics Card

Old December 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Biostar 6100-M9 with EVGA 7600GT PCIx Graphics Card

Just finishing putting this system together. Everything installed fine
using the onboard video. Unfortunately when I installed the EVGA 7600FT
PCIx based graphics card, the system continues to used the onboard
video.

In BIOS there is on option to explicitly disable the onboard video. The
only options are Auto and Always On.

If I understand correctly, when the new graphics card is plugged in,
the onboard video should automatically be disabled.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Old December 3rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Zack Aube

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:17:01 -0800, ian_journeaux wrote:

Just finishing putting this system together. Everything installed fine
using the onboard video. Unfortunately when I installed the EVGA 7600FT
PCIx based graphics card, the system continues to used the onboard
video.

In BIOS there is on option to explicitly disable the onboard video. The
only options are Auto and Always On.

If I understand correctly, when the new graphics card is plugged in,
the onboard video should automatically be disabled.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Depends on BIOS. If the BIOS has no disable option go into
windows-system-hardware. Select the video hardware. Ensure your new card
is there. Ensure the onboard is disabled and the new card is enabled.

--
______
Zack

Every operating system out there is about equal. We all suck.
(Brian Valentine of Microsoft)

Old December 3rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

Depends on BIOS. If the BIOS has no disable option go into
windows-system-hardware. Select the video hardware. Ensure your new card
is there. Ensure the onboard is disabled and the new card is enabled.

How is that going to help, when it is the BIOS that initializes the video
display? -Dave

Old December 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Thanks everyone for the comments. Unfortunately the PCIx card doesn't
show up in the Windowes XP device manager. I have tried disableing the
onboard video in device manager. All this does it defaults the the
display to VGA and the actual on-board video shows up as a question
mark.

There is no extra power connector for the EVGA 7600GT so that isn't it
either. BioStar Tech support isn't available and EVGA tech support was
there but were not able to help. I don't have another PCIx video card
to try and troublshoot.

Take Care

Old December 3rd 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Unfortunately the PCIx card doesn't
show up in the Windowes XP device manager. I have tried disableing the
onboard video in device manager. All this does it defaults the the
display to VGA and the actual on-board video shows up as a question
mark.

There is no extra power connector for the EVGA 7600GT so that isn't it
either. BioStar Tech support isn't available and EVGA tech support was
there but were not able to help. I don't have another PCIx video card
to try and troublshoot.

Take Care

Examine the video card slot, and the components around the slot. It could
be that one of the lanes is not making contact. I do not recommend
mechanical means ("cleaning" something) - instead, try removing and
reinserting the video card two or three times. If residue was left on
the motherboard video slot contacts, the scraping of card insertion
and removal, could remove it. (Using an eraser on a metal surface,
only removes the metal plating, and is self defeating.)

A PCI Express x16 card has 16 high speed serial lanes. Each lane is
AC coupled, and you can see tiny capacitors near the slot, which
are for coupling in one direction. (There are two sets of wires,
one set for TX and one set for RX. There should be a set of tiny caps
on the video card, and a set on the motherboard.)

If one of the most significant lanes goes missing, it is possible
for PCI Express devices to work with a subset of lanes. But the
subset is probably not arbitrary, and if "lane zero" went missing,
that would probably prevent the card from being seen.

Tomshardware did an experiment some time ago, which demonstrated
the power-of-two lane size possibilities. They used cello tape
on the edge connector, and taped off various numbers of lanes,
then benchmarked card performance. So a x16 card doesn't need
to have all lanes connected, to function. But the valid lane
combinations probably have an ordering to them, so some lanes
may be more valuable to get working than others. (I don't have
a copy of the standard, and don't know what lane combos work.)

You need to test that video card, in another computer.

Paul
Old December 30th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I have the EXACT same problem. Was there a resolution to this issue?