Ipaqs

Old June 10th 05, 06:07 PM
Kevin Childers

Default Ipaqs

Anyone got the skinny on Ipaqs. I admit I've pretty much ignored them.
however a friend has a deal for several at $45.00 a piece and wants to hook
his family in the Philippines up with them. Worth the trouble or just a
waste of time?

KC

Old June 10th 05, 09:57 PM
Ben Myers

I've serviced several IPaqs lately, upgrading the memory and doing housecleaning
on the windows files. They have a smallish chassis which stands upright on the
desktop. Nice computer if space is limited.

The motherboard is smaller than microATX. It has an Intel 810 chipset and 2
DIMM sockets handling up to 512MB PC100 or PC133 memory. Built-in Ethernet,
parallel, serial, USB 1.1. Standard 3.5" hard drive. Notebook style CD-ROM
drive. Depending on the CPU speed and the amount of main memory, $45 apiece may
be a very good deal... Ben Myers

Old June 10th 05, 11:07 PM
NoNoBadDog!

Not sure where the connection was broken, but iPAQs are handled devices
running Windows Mobile. They do not have nay of the things you describe.
They are self contained and do not have any architectural similarities to
desktop computers.

Bobby

Old June 10th 05, 11:19 PM
McSpreader

iPaq was originally a Compaq brand covering a variety of 'cool'
products, including a desktop PC device - see
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pb/iPAQ/10638_na.html

The iPaq PocketPC is the only survivor AFAIK.

BTW: I assume that "handled" = "handheld"

Old June 10th 05, 11:41 PM
NoNoBadDog!

Another victim of spell-check; yes, I meant hand-held. Strangely enough,
though, they are also "handled". (chuckles to himself).

Bobby

Old June 11th 05, 02:54 AM
Kevin Childers

Wrong and right I guess. I got to see these and they are as Ben
described them. They stand upright/on their side. Theses are 450Mhz
Celerons with 20Gb drives (DoD Wiped), 128 Mb RAM, Win98 certificates and no
software. The only other concern I would have then is about heat as the
intent is to send them to family in the Philippines where they will be used
in a hot and damp climate for a goodly portion of each year they last. At
$45.00 a piece they seem like a good idea to me.

Old June 12th 05, 05:00 AM

I have an Ipaq that I dropped a 1.0 ghz p3 into, but if yours are 450
mhz Celerons then they are PPGA Socket 370 and not FC-PGA Socket 370.
That means they are not upgradeable. If thats not an issue, then I'd
say $45.00 is about the right price. The MotherBoard has to have a
keyboard plugged in for the box to boot.