Old April 24th 04, 02:35 AM
JAD

Paul,

Many will offer outlandish procedures in opening the drive and doing
this and that, which will ultimately lead to No data recovery and a
lot of frustration. If the data is extremely important, a data
recovery company is the only way to go.

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
"Chris Stolworthy" wrote in

message ...
"Paul" wrote in message
om...
I have a Western Digitial WD800JB. It's a 7200RPM 80GB IDE

drive. It
does not spin up. With the disk out of the computer I hold it
vertically and turn the case. I can hear the platters inside

turning.
I would like to determine if I am having a voltage problem. If

I am
having a voltage problem I'd like to attempt to breathe enough

life
into it to get my data back. Has anyone out there dealt with

this
type of issue before?

It's still under warranty. Most of my data has been backed up.

There
are some pictures and a few documents I'd like to recover.

TIA,
Paul

I doubt that it is a voltage problem, it IS possible though. IF

it just
won't spin then I would guess the drive motor is shot. If you

really want
to test the voltage Unplug EVERYTHING except the motherboard and

the hard
drive and turn it on and see if it spins up. It *Should* spin up

at this
point, assuming of course you aren't running like a 50watt power

supply.

I did plug it into power with another drive and the other drive spun
up. I switched power connectors and the other drive still spun up.
This drive didn't spin either time. So, I know that my power
connectors are good. The other drive is a WD400JB. It's identical

the dead drive except its 40GB instead of 80GB.

I'm guessing that I have to uncover the platters in order to get at
the motor and that will pretty much ruin everything since I don't

have
a clean room. What are your thoughts on my chances of replacing the
motor? Any recommendations on how to proceed? I'm not looking to
save the drive, just get my data off of it.

TIA,
Paul