Old July 11th 03, 06:12 AM
spodosaurus

GreyGoose wrote:
Everything I've ever read has recommended turning Off SMART, as it slows
down the performance significantly and any benefits outweigh the cons.
I've used only WD drives for the past 15 years and never found the need
for SMART (I know it hasn't been available That long!!)

Butterfly Maiden wrote in
:

On the advice to another question I asked, a few people suggested
enlisting the help of S.M.A.R.T. in determining the temp of my HDD.
I've tried several utilities, including that of the maker, WD, and
they don't recognize the drive. CMOS/BIOS does recognize the HDD
properly, and S.M.A.R.T. is enabled. I have a K7N2G-L MOBO with a
2400XP The HDD is a recent model WD 120 GB; it is alone as master on
IDE1. I am running XP Pro with NTSF.

Any help would be appreciated. (How does S.M.A.R.T. communicate?)

TIA

You can turn off SMART in the BIOS, not at the drive.

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying