Old December 28th 04, 09:10 PM
Quaoar

aptadmin wrote:
I just bought a usb pci card for my pc so i can install a new
printer. I have my keyboard and mouse on the only 2 available
on-board ports. The printer will install correctly on the on-board
port if I remove the keyboard. but the keyboard, mouse or printer
will not install on the pci card. I did successfully install a usb
drive on the pci card though. I am running win2k pro, the usb card
is an ALI pci to usb card, and my motherboard is an ASUS P3B-F.

Did you follow the hardware and driver installation instructions exactly
as specified by the vendor? Do you see the correct "Enhanced USB Host
Controller" in device manager? These often install as a single
"enhanced" (USB2) host controller and one USB host controller per
physical USB port; i.e., one enhanced controller plus four normal
controllers for a four port card. You might Google the name of the
vendor of the host controllers to see if there are known problems with
Win2k. There was an NEC controller that had problems as I recall.

I don't know about the mouse and keyboard - is there any option to
select the ports being used? For the printer, you might look at the
properties, ports tab, and see if there is are ports for the pci card
listed and simply change to one of those ports or browse to see if they
exist. This works in XP when changing from parallel to USB for example.