Old November 4th 18, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default dahm it took long SSD HP-M700

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 20:45:52 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

The only thing royally screwed is the quad. I should have got better,
a FX 3.6GHz and overclocked it to 4. The Phenom is better in six or
an octal configs, and AMD is besides no slouch in their redundancy
dept. Still, if only I'd checked FX pricing, wasn't afflicted by a
lightning strike, for Ebay FX 3.6GHz pulls. Ouch.

Correction: Phenom II is up to x6 cores my MB's compatibility listing
and there a no Phenom II octa-cores.

FX series is still the value point, sub-$40 range, for raw speed at or
near stock 3.6Ghz in a quad build. They look to be all fundamentally
multiplier unlocked but, for that, still have low thread-core
efficiency ratings.

A value or dollar-per-MHhz, at what a FX does actually manage across
ratings curves, may be another story entirely. (Among other a wider
range of considerations for such as applications compatibility and
expected support.)

Where I fizzle-farted, apparently, is in already owning a Phenom
non-II AM2+, updating to a AM3+ in cursory same-likeness fashion,
while not adequately researching a field of performance expectations
available from comments given on such as, starting at a FX-4100 to the
FX-4300, and inclusive between a 4350 series, respectively clocking
3.6 to 4.2GHz, stock, all at a minimum margin of 95watts draw.
(Overclocking potential is 5Ghz in some instances.)

And that's where and what I could and should have had, essentially for
a unresearched 2.6Ghz Phenom II I did buy - nor particularly for that
being a good deal on a pulled/used CPU. A FX would have only been
minimally more cost.

I've managed, yes, to more than backup a failed computer, both being
in CPU performance adequately quick. But the failed MB was maxed-out
for the fastest CPU it was rated for. And that's not even remotely
near what this new MB is capable to surpass. Hence, I missed the
extra "bang" - and a big one I'll hazard at that - between a 2.6GHz
Phenom II and a FX running even in single-core at a minimum of 3.6GHz.

It's an AMD thing, I guess, even with another layer of high-GHz Athlon
II series CPUs supported, all at a minimum of a quad build, on the
socket AM3+: the ol' Baffle and Dazzle the propeller-heads with
market saturation techniques. Damn it, everybody deserves to get
their box banged once in awhile, and I should have seen it coming.