Old November 4th 18, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default dahm it took long SSD HP-M700

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 16:24:36 -0400, Paul
wrote:

You could get a separate SATA controller card.

The chip on the card should have a PCI Express x2 interface,
rather than just one lane. The PCI Express card connector is
then x4 wide (and only two lanes wired). An ASM1062 is an
example of a chip with x2 interface. Two lanes at PCIe Rev2
gives 2*500MB/sec max transfer rate. The bus efficiency of
0.7 drops the total to 700MB/sec, which is good for a
500MB/sec SSD. You can do SSD to SSD transfers at full
rate, because the PCIe interface is full-duplex.

This gives a better chance of full rate transfer.

The motherboard then needs an x4 slot for your new purchase.
This could take the form of using one of the SLI slots
on a motherboard. Or, some boards will have an x4 slot.
Even if it's sub-wired, it might mate with the x2 on the
card.

A Google search right now is giving poor results, and I
can't see a card I like. IOCREST is a possible brand.
StarTech didn't seem to have what I wanted. They had
a card with a Marvell chip instead.

If for some reason you only had a motherboard with
PCIE Rev1.1 slots, then you'd need a card with
a PCIe switch chip onboard. Which are less common
and could cost $100 (times trump tariff) to fit the machine.

The prices on cards I didn't want, seem to have risen
since the last time I looked. The tariff is only
supposed to add another 10% to everything. And charged
in every country.

Paul

Of course. That also surfaced, by one participant, in the tech
discussion on the Samsung, but I liked the one better where another
decided to return to Samsung Samsung's disc for his money back.

I've two of those boards, controllers, for poor foresight when I
purchased a MB, (now 3rd backup and not the lightning-annulled one
mentioned before), with only two SATA ports.

They're both within arm's reach, although I'd rather not go (back)
there after so many years of running with them. Even though both
these newer MBs are the same model, essentially...

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 (rev1.0) Phenom II X4 810
Gigabyte 78LMT (rev6.0) FX-8300 Octal

I'd have to look to check, as I believe the octal has eight SATA
ports, whereas this quad has six. As you can see, I came prepared this
time, and really do value all those native SATA ports.

As per the (Tom's HW / ANAND) tech discussion and controller chips,
HWINFO32 v4.32 reports:

ATI/AMD SP5100 (SB700) SATA Native IDE Controller

same to suffixed (sic) SB700/SB800

for virtually everything controller related on the MB, including one
LPC Bridge. Or the very same as reported.

FWIW. I'll see what happens with the new cables, which really should
be paired up for matching 6G/s hardware, if nothing else for a matter
of course. I've all but one SATA port left now, 3 SSD units, one
mechanical, and a DVD. So it's comparatively all aboard the gravy
train, for storage considerations and what I was running with on the
two prior MBs.