Old November 3rd 18, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default dahm it took long SSD HP-M700

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 03:51:09 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Remember to backup things up periodically! Even Win 10 and its updates
might all of a sudden delete your personal files... without being sued!

I backup off a DOS FAT16 partition and keep most partitions at various
sizes FAT32, which the FAT16 will see (from Windows 98 DOS command
prompt). Since FAT32 partitions created with OEM partition managers
are legally larger than anything at the time of W98, up to 2 terabyte
partitions, some programs can be run while others should be differed
to more modern OS.

I've some IT-grade commercial backup utilities. Similar in a newer
counterpart, the newer backup utilities will effectively "make their
own" DOS 16 occurrences when they need to reboot and restore. All
very time consuming and needlessly involved from the point of a boot
arbitrator and running off a DOS16/20 partition. Although I also do
use other older utilities in that environment, they're mostly for when
preparing a HDD from a new build or assembly perspective.

The "IT" stuff is old Norton Ghost Enterprise, which includes
utilities for DOS. There's a DOS program for batching purposes for
propagating automated partitions simultaneously across several
computers connected on a network. Good'nuff in my book for IT.

I've used that program for writing my automated boot disc batches for
people simply to insert, repower, and restore the OS. Once or twice.
I think it was freaking them out, the whole concept, and that somebody
could actually do that. People, some, need their hand held, and
that's what newer backup imagery utilities effectively do, to keep
appearances as simple as possible on the front-end of operations. Not,
of course, that they need to do more than what they say: restore the
OS;- Norton Ghost will do the more, though.

Of course if one misses the correct partition out of a DOS16 platform
when "ghosting", overwrites another, it's nothing less than
disastrous. Everything comes with intelligible disclaimers, unless
it's from a snake-charmer, or possibly an actual programming editor,
fully endowed and entitled to rewrite a HDD's MBR in hex.