Old November 3rd 18, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default dahm it took long SSD HP-M700

Flasherly wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 12:48:28 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

The way that's read for HP-esque is ...

-
Along with HP-esque M700 packaging specifications: At a minimum
operational functionality, and placement, upon a Microsoft (TM)
Windows 7 operational system (presumably 32-bit is A-OK, too).

If it smells, looks like ... therefore and then it must be bull****.

(Another: notably with Samsung: 'New and improved *NIX compatibility.)

Not that I've gotten around to legal partitions permitted a software
MBR arbitrator, or subsequent OS installs. But then I suspect,
eventually, I shall, starting with the ABC's of FAT16 and a DOS
command.com.

The name of that tune: Controllers, controllers, controllers.

A partial factor, nonetheless to not but have had some impact, upon
noticing in a hardware forum where members were pairing up Samsung
drives on AMD MB platforms. A posting I noticed was dated within this
year.

Samsung SDD drives were reported for issues with AMD supportive
controller chipsets. As well subsequent action, to contact Samsung
support for corrective measures, on a result that Samsung effected the
user buy a new MB to support their SSD on other than AMD chipsets.

What does that mean - I then looked up my MB's controller chipsets and
they're the same as the above complainant, who subsequently returned
the Samsung drive and bought another brand-make SSD.

On principle I'm not believing that until I have the actual hardware,
in hand, to duplicate an outside observation;- on the other hand,
neither am I discounting it. IOW - I'd have had to pay $25, in
addition, to process the validity of Samsung over an HP M700.

You could get a separate SATA controller card.

The chip on the card should have a PCI Express x2 interface,
rather than just one lane. The PCI Express card connector is
then x4 wide (and only two lanes wired). An ASM1062 is an
example of a chip with x2 interface. Two lanes at PCIe Rev2
gives 2*500MB/sec max transfer rate. The bus efficiency of
0.7 drops the total to 700MB/sec, which is good for a
500MB/sec SSD. You can do SSD to SSD transfers at full
rate, because the PCIe interface is full-duplex.

This gives a better chance of full rate transfer.

The motherboard then needs an x4 slot for your new purchase.
This could take the form of using one of the SLI slots
on a motherboard. Or, some boards will have an x4 slot.
Even if it's sub-wired, it might mate with the x2 on the
card.

A Google search right now is giving poor results, and I
can't see a card I like. IOCREST is a possible brand.
StarTech didn't seem to have what I wanted. They had
a card with a Marvell chip instead.

If for some reason you only had a motherboard with
PCIE Rev1.1 slots, then you'd need a card with
a PCIe switch chip onboard. Which are less common
and could cost $100 (times trump tariff) to fit the machine.

The prices on cards I didn't want, seem to have risen
since the last time I looked. The tariff is only
supposed to add another 10% to everything. And charged
in every country.

Paul