Old November 3rd 18, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default dahm it took long SSD HP-M700

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 05:03:49 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

200G/s trx solid packed & undefragmented 2G large fat32 files

Correction: 200M/s, not G.

It's rated SATA 6/G sec - standards rating.
Transfer rate is 600M/s - specifications rated/seq.

It's my very own "ugly duckling" SSD - nobody, largely, but nobody
buys a HP M700 SSD.

Might be people buy a whole laptop, desktop, in which case it makes
sense, because that's what HP does and is known for: pre-assemblies;-
hence HP needs their own end-build material supplies, such as big bin
of SSDs for assembly workers to draw from.

Why then sell me one - because it's flat-pancake NAND, inclusive as
now are all my SSDs. Pancake NAND is bottom-barrel NAND: it only
cooks wider, whereas V- and 3D-NAND for new and improved by being
sandwiched, upwards, into tiny, thin layers. All hail the old;- Long
live the new!

I've seen opinionated HP M700 comparisons, on the high-end to a
Crucial MLC SSD, on the low to Kingston series. Oh, yeah ... and do
they ever have the opinion ratings. How many opinions are on mine: A
Big One. And that one comes from a 5-star check only, on Amazon,
without anything else;- might be checked by the HP agent or OEM
marketeer listing it on Amazon. (NewEgg probably has more but I
haven't looked yet.)

Along, of course, with another correction: Mine's no big deal: Amazon
is only a few bucks more, base line, being a presumption without
anybody further jacking uncertainties around with shipping or tax
rates.

There are an extent of more of HP SSD reviews on hardware sites,
though they tend favor the Pro HP model, a S700 series over the M700;-
SLC NAND being presumably the S's logical extension.

And a 6-year warranty I presumed is also wrongo. HP isn't giving me
anything, not other than industry MLC rewrite ratings: The way that's
read for HP-esque is a three-year replacement policy.

Which is still something of shade better, looking to the brighter side
of MLC, than low- to low/middle-pack assemblies in the latest TLC
"stacked" technology, among general offerings to follow and monitor,
when periodically to surface below or at usual $40 sale reductions.

I overprovisioned for 10% in token principle accordingly (25% is de
facto for many among TLC recommendations).

Specifics as to the controller and related utilization, otherwise, due
to lack of DRAM buffering, remain of empiric substances, if at all, to
draw from the big world of real expectations, users see in actual
applications and usage, from one of a discretionary viewpoint provided
by technical specifications and material measures.

And that means, most basically, since I've already bought three SSD
drives, all five years ago, all being as well in MLC planar NAND -- 2
Samsung units, a 64 and 128G, plus one Crucial 256G MLC -- what more
now can I expect, if very little or anything less than lacking in
DRAM, from a HP M700 MLC planar NAND, effectively rendered obsolete,
despite a 5-year advance for newer controller technology, for a
subsequent cost of less than any of the above units.

(Well, I did also pay $40 for my first and oldest SSD, as I recall,
the Samsung 64G. On sale but of course.)