Old June 2nd 12, 03:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:55:33 -0400, "glee"
wrote:

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee"
wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands
located?
The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names
for
the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
folder or something which contained these commands?

Yousuf Khan

As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
was
at C:\DOS

That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory g

yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

LOL from me too. I'm in the minority, but I love puns.