Old August 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

Default Dye ink

You probably ruined the printer. While there are good 3rd party inks,
there are no good "generic inks". The characteristics of printers and
their ink systems are unbelievably complex, and you need an ink that
pretty much exactly matches the original specs (and there is a lot more
to this than just dye vs. pigment). Use of any other ink will normally
ruin the print system. In a printer where the printhead is part of the
cartridge, fine, you just throw it away and start over with a new
cartridge. But in a printer with permanent printheads, use of the wrong
ink usually destroys the printer.

Hans Jørgen wrote:
Is there anybody out there who knows if pigment ought to work in a die
printer ?

I'm in all sorts of trouble. At the outset I wanted to avoid the many
cleaning cycles when I refilled my cartridges so I bought a continues
ink system and at the same time I changed to pigment ink to avoid
fading pictures. I have had to demount the continues system and return
to refilling cartridges but I have lost the yellow color.

I now use a Cannon Pixma ip5300. I destroyed my Epson Stylus Photo 950
in the process and got upset with the prises and availability of print
heads for Epson. I have also bought a One Eye for making icc profiles
to facilitate the different inks on different types of paper.