Old October 9th 15, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Best format for USB flash drives nowadays?

Let's ask comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage newsgroup as well. I'd assume
exFAT can do it, but not sure if non-computer devices can. I know all
can do FAT32.

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
exFAT to hold 4GB+ files and for faster read/writes (so I'm told -
right?)?

What is the status of exFAT support nowadays for the main OSes?

Would all WinXP systems have exFAT support installed via normal system
updates, or is it still optional and thus hit and miss as to whether
it's available?

What about Linux? BSD Unix? Last I checked a few years ago, *unix exFAT
support seemed patchy.

How about for TVs, Android devices, etc?

Is it still the case that only more recent versions of OS X choose the
right block size when formatting with exFAT, to ensure crossplatform
compatibility? IIRC Snow Leopard got this wrong (technically adhering to
the published specs, but weirdly MS doesn't fully support their own
specs).

Or should I just stick with FAT32 as I rarely encounter very large
files, anyway?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

--
Quote of the Week: "It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the
mountain peaks while the lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the