Old September 11th 05, 12:22 PM
Trev

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Adam" wrote:

Hi Everyone

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World. I bought a KVM switch
from
them a few weeks ago, and it worked fine at first, so I didn't bother
keeping the receipt. However, earlier today, it stopped working, so I
took
it back to PC World to get it replaced. I spoke to the manager, who was
totally unhelpful and refused point blank to do anything about it because
didn't have the receipt. I pointed out that it is not actually a legal
requirement to produce a receipt (and anyway, would you keep a receipt
for a
low-value item that worked OK at first?), but he didn't care. No receipt,
no
exchange. End of story. Also end of any chance of my shopping at PC World
ever again. But I guess PC World doesn't care about that, even though I
am
responsible for all IT purchasing for my company as well as buying the
occasional piece of kit for home use.

It's a tricky one because if I remember from my Dixons days proof of
purchase could simply be me saying "I remember selling it to him last
week". OTOH all of their return/exchange systems are (were, this was
some years back but it can't have changed much) geared around product
codes and receipt numbers.

But in those days each item was enterd on the stock records with custumers
name and date. so we could enter the details should we kneed to. Now its
self service with only a checkout

How did you pay for it?

I'd say if it was a card, and you recall the date, go back in with your
statement and ask them to search their EPOS system for sales of your
KVMs product code on the day you say you purchased it.

Beyond that if they play awkward then I think they're just being knobs
and TS and head office is the way to go - I once took a punt on Stanley
Kalms email address when I'd been brushed off over a dodgy VCR and a few
days later got a nice personally signed letter from one of their
directors - it made walking back into the store even sweeter :-)

cheers,
Paul