Old February 14th 04, 01:51 AM
*Vanguard*

"Trent©" said in :

I guess I've gotta start to RTFM! lol

Why annually? What if there's a dust build-up before that? Do some
mainboards come with a dust measuring device?...to measure the depth
of the dust?

I've got a few clients that can hardly find the 'on' button. I guess
I'll hafta number the screws in the back...so's they know which ones
to take out first.

And where to I get all of them one of those anti-static brushes you
talk about?

I can really use the money...but I don't think I wanna tell my clients
to pull the cover off once a year and dust inside!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Have a nice week...

Trent

Your environment will tell you how often to dust. If dusty, you set the
computer atop a carpeted floor, lots of pets, leave windows open in summer
instead of using A/C, etc., then your environment is more dusty or linty.
Some computers have filter screens on their inlet air ports (but they are
rather porous). Yearly dusting is recommended just because it does get the
dust out occasionally and you're usually not going to get IS or users to do
it more often. If you take an A+ course for computers or do any maintenance
in a computer environment, you know that you have to schedule some dusting.

In a carpeted house with lots of traffic and pets, I dust mine about every 6
months. One time my 2kVA UPS was making a lot of noise. I figured its fan
was bad. Nope, the fan was horizontal and blowing air over some huge
heatsink fins and a column of dust had accumulate atop the fan between the
fins. I had to use a vacuum with a crevice tool. You know there was a lot
of dust when the vacuum hose when thunka-thunka when sucking up more dust.

However, I would not use a brush unless it was an anti-static brush to wipe
off cards and the motherboard unless I had taken the system apart and took
precautions against static. Blowing with compressed air is usually
sufficient. Otherwise, those mini dusting vacuums (designed for computer
use so they don't build up static from their motor) are handy. You might
want to blow the dust off in a small room where you can then clean up the
mess afterward, or do it outside. Depends on the accumulation level.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***