Old February 13th 04, 02:30 PM
*Vanguard*

"Jonas Dieckelmann" said in :
Hi there.

Yesterday i opened the case of my pc to do some dust removal.
I used a clean brush for this purpose, whipping away dust from the
motherboard.
After i reinstalled what i had taken out, following Problem occured:
I startet Windows, did some work and when i wanted to power off the pc
(with Windows-Shut down ), the pc would power down, but imediately
after the
fans stop rotating the system would power on again !.
So i went and disconnected every component from the motherboard but
the CPU and the PSU ( eben the RAM), but the problem persisted.
I used another PSU from a friend, connected it to the motherboard:
still the same Problem.

Has anybody a hint, why the system still wont power down ?

Asus A7v333
AthlonXP 1900+
350W PSU

Jonas

Did you use an anti-static brush? If not, or if you did not take
appropriate anti-static precautions when reaching inside the box or handling
its components, then you could've zapped it. In the hope that you didn't
zap it silly, maybe the CMOS table got corrupted. I have seen where the
CMOS copy of the BIOS is out of sync with the BIOS. Look for a 2-pin header
on the motherboard where you short a jumper across to clear the CMOS. First
yank the power cord from the power supply, then short the header for 10
seconds, then remove the jumper and power up. If you don't have a CMOS
clear header that you can jumper, pull the CMOS battery out (after first
yanking the power supply cord), wait a minute or two, replace it, and then
power up. When the POST completes and you see the prompt on how to go into
BIOS, enter BIOS and save all settings (to CMOS). You'll also have to redo
any BIOS customizations you had made previously.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***