Old March 15th 16, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pk121

Default Tired of hot processor on P9X79

Hi Bill
I use this case
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1020/
It keeps my system exceptionally cool and fairly quiet
right on my desk 3 ft from where I sit
pk121

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message

I've described my problem before on this newsgroup, and I've received
some helpful advice which I considered carefully and ... didn't act
upon. But this time, I promise, I'm about to solve my problem one way
or another.

Back in September, 2012, I built my current computer around an Asus
P9X79 mbo with an Intel i7-3930K 3.2G processor, 32gib Corsair Vengeance
DDR3 memory, an nVidia GTX570 graphics card, a horizontal Lian Li PC-C32
case, and a Dynatron processor fan which was the only fan I saw that was
short enough to fit in that nice and quiet Lian Li case. (Thanks, Paul,
for finding the cooler for me.)

It's actually a terrific build and I'm satisfied with it except for the
one thing that has been problematic since the beginning: the thing runs
hot when I'm processing video with the Adobe suite (Premiere, Encore,
Audition, etc. and even some other non-Adobe software). Everything is
fine when I'm doing normal stuff like Word, Excel, web and the like.
But when I start rendering video, every core in that processor shoots up
to 100% and the overheating begins.

Here's what things look like normally in my study. See the computer
down there in the lower right on a sliding shelf? It's not overheating
at all.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

Short URL: https://goo.gl/AbRjKh

But let me start processing video, and the jury-rigging begins. Out
slides the shelf and off comes the case lid, and on goes my trusty
electric fan which usually keeps the processor just barely under 80c
which is when the temperature warning beeps commence.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

Short URL: https://goo.gl/58oHPD

Pretty much nearly every time mostly, this works for me. But I've
recently installed some video processing software I really need, and
when I run it on video files even the little fan can't keep the
temperature down. Last night when the computer was beeping its
temperature warnings like a smoke alarm in a house fire, I had to go
into Win10 task manager and click "affinity" check boxes to turn off
half the cores. That almost totally stopped the beeping (and slowed the
processing) until the job was done. But I'm tired of this. I want a
new case big enough to accommodate a new cooler that will let me do what
I want without a bunch of fuss and bother. And I'm willing to pay what
it takes, within reason.

I figure I can get a mid-tower case wide enough to accommodate either a
big processor cooler with fan, or one of those liquid cooling setups
with a radiator/fan unit that attaches to the case. And I'm thinking
I'll either set the new case where my printer is now and move my printer
to the sliding shelf, or leave the printer where it is and put the new
computer on the floor to the right of my cabinet. It would be nice to
have everything contained in the big cabinet, but in the past I've
learned that putting the computer up in front of me increases noise and
even worse, keeps a flow of hot air in my face. I guess we'll see where
it ends up.

So, I want a new case and a new cooler. And I want the case to keep my
processor nice and chilly while remaining quiet, quiet, just as silent
as possible. And I've Googled Tom's Hardware and I've Googled here and
there and my head is spinning and I'm not finding anything that says:
"Here's the coolest, quietest plan for your build." But I have found
all sorts of nifty cases with big plexiglas windows and flashy lights
and glowing blue fans and dual exhaust tail fins too, I think. Don't
want that. Plain and simple will do just fine.

What I want:
Nice, quiet, efficient cooling solution for a hot i7 processor
Spacious mid-tower that will accommodate that cooling solution
Internal bays for a minimum four internal HDDs, plus an SSD
External bays for an optical drive, and a card reader.
Front USB 3.0 ports as well as 2.0 ports. (As the P9X79 doesn't have
internal sockets for USB 3.0, I'll get a PCI-e card to which I can
attach the front USB 3.0 ports).
External front audio sockets

That oughta do it. Ideas, anyone? Maybe point me to the website I want
but haven't yet found? Thanks.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog