Old October 5th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default Dell fan speed control

The tipoff here in recent (i.e. Pentium 4) years has been the presence of an
sticker with an Intel AA "number" on it. Six digits, a hyphen, and 3 more
digits. Except that the high order digit has gone to a hex digit.

No matter what, Dell licenses for motherboard BIOSes give Dell the option to
impose its own distinct look-and-feel on its BIOSes. I view this as a somewhat
forumulaic cookie cutter operation for the BIOS programmers. No software design
expertise needed.

With some of the recent motherboards, Intel models now use Realtak 10/100/1000
chips, giving us a signal that Intel will soon exit from the Ethernet chip
business, if it has not done so already... Ben Myers

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 05:29:49 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:

Hi!

Your question was, is, and will be actually a 2-part question. Dell
used/uses
a lot of Intel-designed motherboards.

I think that depends upon which Dell system you look at. Some of the boards
floating around are "distinctly Dell"...I'm thinking of ones where you see
the onboard Broadcom 4401 chipset for Ethernet for my example. On the other
hand, I could see an Intel design being used in the Dim8300--since the
Ethernet is integrated into the chipset.

SNIP